Etoposide Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Etoposide 50mg; contain parabens.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Etoposide Capsules:
Small cell lung cancer.
Round dose to nearest 50mg increment. Range: 70mg/m2 per day for 4 days to 100mg/m2 per day for 5 days. Repeat course every 3 to 4 weeks after recovery (esp myelosuppression). Renal impairment (CrCl ≤50mL/min): reduce dose (see literature). Consider dose reduction with existing myelosuppression due to previous radiation or chemotherapy.
Monitor blood (esp CBC/differential, platelets, hemoglobin) before each cycle and during therapy; renal function. Withhold dose if platelet count <50,000/mm3 or ANC <500/mm3. Hypoalbuminemia. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by cyclosporine. Additive toxicity with radiation, other cytotoxic therapies.
GI upset, mucositis, myelosuppression (esp. neutropenia, thrombocytopenia; may be fatal), alopecia, fever, infections, peripheral neurotoxicity; hypersensitivity reactions, acute leukemia (rare); others.
Formerly known under the brand name VePesid.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder