Etoposide Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Etoposide 50mg; contain parabens.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Etoposide Capsules:
Small cell lung cancer.
Round dose to nearest 50mg increment. Range: 70mg/m2 per day for 4 days to 100mg/m2 per day for 5 days. Repeat course every 3 to 4 weeks after recovery (esp myelosuppression). Renal impairment (CrCl ≤50mL/min): reduce dose (see literature). Consider dose reduction with existing myelosuppression due to previous radiation or chemotherapy.
Monitor blood (esp CBC/differential, platelets, hemoglobin) before each cycle and during therapy; renal function. Withhold dose if platelet count <50,000/mm3 or ANC <500/mm3. Hypoalbuminemia. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by cyclosporine. Additive toxicity with radiation, other cytotoxic therapies.
GI upset, mucositis, myelosuppression (esp. neutropenia, thrombocytopenia; may be fatal), alopecia, fever, infections, peripheral neurotoxicity; hypersensitivity reactions, acute leukemia (rare); others.
Formerly known under the brand name VePesid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Neuroimaging Markers of Bipolar Disorder Risk for At-Risk Youth
- Suicide Attempt Risk Among LGB Populations Higher Than Previously Estimated
- Residents Should Take Advantage of Paid Time Off
- Outpatient Engagement May Lower Suicide Attempts in Patients With Fibromyalgia
- Prevalence of Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementia Set to Double