Etidronate Disodium Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Etidronate disodium 200mg, 400mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Etidronate Disodium:
Treatment of symptomatic Paget's disease of bone. Prevention and treatment of heterotopic ossification after total hip replacement or due to spinal cord injury.
Swallow whole; take with a full glass of water (6–8oz) in upright position; do not lie down afterwards. Give once daily (preferred) or in divided doses at least 2hrs before or after food. Paget's: initially 5–10mg/kg/day; max 6 months (if ineffective, or if rapid bone turnover must be suppressed or to reduce elevated cardiac output: 11–20mg/kg/day; max 3 months). May retreat after 3 etidronate-free months if evidence of active disease process exists. Heterotopic ossification: hip replacement: 20mg/kg/day for 1 month before and 3 months after surgery; spinal cord injury: 20mg/kg/day for 2 weeks, then 10mg/kg/day for 10 weeks.
Esophagus abnormalities which delay esophageal emptying (eg, stricture, achalasia). Clinically overt osteomalacia.
Active upper GI disease; discontinue and reevaluate if signs/symptoms of esophageal reaction occur. Ensure adequate calcium and Vit. D intake. Risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw; consider discontinuing therapy during invasive dental procedures (eg, tooth extraction, implants, surgery). Enterocolitis. Osteomalacia and increased fracture risk in chronic use or high doses. Osteolytic lesions. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Calcium, aluminum- or magnesium-containing antacids, iron, other divalent cations reduce absorption (separate dosing by >2hrs). Monitor warfarin.
Diarrhea, nausea, musculoskeletal pain, esophagitis, esophageal ulcers/erosions, gastritis (may be severe); osteomalacia, bone fractures, jaw osteonecrosis.
Formerly known under the brand name Didronel.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder