Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethanolamine oleate 50mg/mL; soln for IV inj; contains benzyl alcohol 2%.
QOL Medical, LLC
Indications for ETHAMOLIN:
For the treatment of esophageal varices that have recently bled, to prevent rebleeding.
Usual IV dose: 1.5–5mL per varix. Max dose per treatment session: 20mL. Child Class C or concomitant cardiopulmonary disease: give less than the recommended max dose. To obliterate the varix, may give injections at the time of the acute bleeding episode and then after one week, six weeks, three months, and six months as indicated.
Should be performed by physician familiar with technique. Submucosal inj: not recommended. Cardiorespiratory disease; monitor. Child Class C (more likely to develop esophageal ulceration). Elderly, critically ill (increased risk of fatal aspiration pneumonia). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pleural effusion/infiltration, esophageal ulcer, pyrexia, retrosternal pain, esophageal stricture, pneumonia, rare: anaphylactic reaction (may be fatal), acute renal failure.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder