Generic Name and Formulations:
Estazolam 1mg, 2mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Estazolam:
Short-term treatment of insomnia.
Initially 1mg at bedtime. May increase to 2mg nightly. Small or debilitated elderly: initially 0.5mg.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concomitant ketoconazole, itraconazole. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Drug or alcohol abuse. Suicidal tendencies. Depression. Renal, hepatic, or respiratory impairment. Avoid abrupt cessation after prolonged use. Elderly. Debilitated. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with CYP3A inhibitors (eg, nefazodone, fluvoxamine, cimetidine, diltiazem, isoniazid, other macrolides): consider dose reduction.
CNS depression, complex sleep-related behaviors (eg, sleep-driving), hypokinesia, dizziness, incoordination, confusion, constipation, anxiety, paradoxical excitement; anaphylaxis, angioedema.
Formerly known under the brand name Prosom.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition