ESBRIET TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Pirfenidone 267mg, 801mg; film-coated tabs.
Indications for ESBRIET TABLETS:
Treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
Take with food at same time each day. Days 1–7: 267mg 3 times daily; Days 8–14: 534mg 3 times daily; Days 15 onward: 801mg 3 times daily. Max 2403mg/day. Dose modifications: see full labeling. Concomitant strong CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, fluvoxamine, enoxacin): 267mg 3 times daily. Concomitant moderate CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, ciprofloxacin 750mg twice daily): 534mg 3 times daily.
Perform liver function tests prior to initiating treatment, monthly for the first 6 months, and every 3 months thereafter. Permanently discontinue if ALT/AST >3 – ≤5XULN with symptoms or hyperbilirubinemia, or if ALT/AST >5XULN occurs. Severe hepatic impairment or ESRD (including dialysis): not recommended. Renal or mild-to-moderate hepatic impairment; monitor and adjust dose or discontinue as needed. Consider treatment interruption or dose reduction if significant adverse reactions (eg, GI, photosensitivity, rash) occur. Avoid/minimize sun exposure or UV light. Smokers. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid smoking or concomitant drugs known to cause photosensitivity. Concomitant strong CYP1A2 inhibitors: not recommended; if needed, reduce pirfenidone dose (see Adults). Potentiated by moderate CYP1A inhibitors; if ciprofloxacin at dose 750mg twice daily cannot be avoided, reduce pirfenidone dose (see Adults). Monitor closely with ciprofloxacin at dose 250–500mg once daily. Avoid concomitant strong CYP1A2 inducers.
Nausea, rash, abdominal pain, upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea, fatigue, headache, dyspepsia, dizziness, vomiting, anorexia, GERD, sinusitis, insomnia, weight decreased, arthralgia; elevated liver enzymes.
Caps—270; Blister packs—63, 252; Tabs 267mg—270; 801mg—90
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder