Generic Name and Formulations:
Asparaginase Erwinia chrysanthemi 10,000 IU; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IM or IV inj after reconstitution.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
Indications for ERWINAZE:
As a component of a multi-agent chemotherapeutic regimen for the treatment of patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) who have developed hypersensitivity to E. coli-derived asparaginase.
Adults and Children:
Give by IM inj (max 2mL/inj site) or IV (infuse over 1hr). To substitute for a pegaspargase dose: 25,000 IU/m2 three times weekly (M/W/F) for 6 doses for each planned pegaspargase dose. To substitute for a native E. coli asparaginase dose: 25,000 IU/m2 for each scheduled native E. coli asparaginase dose within a treatment. When IV use: consider monitoring nadir serum asparaginase activity (NSAA) levels; switch to IM inj if levels are inadequate.
History of serious pancreatitis, thrombosis, hemorrhagic events with prior L-asparaginase therapy.
Have resuscitation equipment available and other agents necessary to treat anaphylaxis. Discontinue if serious hypersensitivity reactions occur. Monitor for pancreatitis; discontinue if severe or hemorrhagic pancreatitis manifested by abdominal pain >72hrs and amylase elevation ≥2XULN occurs. Withhold therapy if mild pancreatitis; may resume after resolution. Monitor glucose levels at baseline and during therapy. Discontinue if thrombotic or hemorrhagic event occurs; may resume after resolution. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Systemic hypersensitivity, hyperglycemia, abnormal transaminases, fever, pancreatitis, local reactions, vomiting, nausea, thrombosis, hyperbilirubinemia, abdominal pain/discomfort, diarrhea.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management