Ergotamine tartrate + Caffeine Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ergotamine tartrate 1mg, caffeine 100mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ergotamine tartrate + Caffeine Tablets:
Migraine, migraine variants, cluster headaches.
2 tablets at onset of attack, then 1 tablet every ½ hour if needed; max 6 tabs/attack, 10 tabs/week.
Peripheral vascular disease. Coronary heart disease. Hypertension. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Sepsis. Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, erythromycin, clarithromycin, troleandomycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole) or other vasoconstrictors. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Monitor for ergotism; do not exceed recommended dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, protease inhibitors, macrolides, azole antifungals, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, grapefruit juice, zileuton), propranolol, nicotine. Severe hypertension with sympathomimetics.
Vasoconstrictive complications or ergotism (eg, ischemia, cold extremities, vasospasm, ECG changes, hyper- or hypotension, numbness, gangrene, dizziness), precordial or muscle pain, tachycardia, bradycardia, nausea, vomiting, local edema, itching; rarely: retroperitoneal and pleuropulmonary fibrosis, cardiac valve fibrosis (chronic use).
Supps formerly known under the brand names Cafergot, Migergot.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder