Generic Name and Formulations:
Eprosartan (as mesylate) 400mg, 600mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Eprosartan:
Monotherapy: not volume depleted: initially 600mg once daily. Usual range: 400–800mg/day given as a single dose or in two divided doses. Moderate-to-severe renal impairment: max 600mg daily.
Concomitant aliskiren in patients with diabetes.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Correct salt/volume depletion before beginning therapy or monitor closely. Monitor BP, renal function, electrolytes. Renal artery stenosis. Severe CHF. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); monitor. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB).
See Contraindications. Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs, ACEIs, or aliskiren may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes; avoid. Avoid concomitant aliskiren in renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min). May be antagonized by, and renal toxicity potentiated by NSAIDs, including COX-2 inhibitors; monitor renal function periodically in elderly and/or volume-depleted. May increase lithium levels; monitor.
Viral infection, injury, fatigue, abdominal pain, hypertriglyceridemia, arthralgia, depression, urinary tract or upper respiratory tract infection, rhinitis, pharyngitis, coughing, hypotension, rhabdomyolysis (rare).
Formerly known under the brand name Teveten.
Hepatic. 98% protein bound.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children