Generic Name and Formulations:
Epinephrine 0.3mg (1:1000); prefilled auto-injector; contains sulfites.
Mylan Specialty L.P.
Indications for EPIPEN:
Emergency treatment of allergic reactions (Type 1) including anaphylaxis.
Adults and Children:
Inject IM or SQ only into the anterolateral aspect of the thigh. <15kg: not studied. 15–30kg: 0.15mg. ≥30kg: 0.3mg. May repeat another dose if needed.
The presence of sulfite in this product should not deter use. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Diabetes. Parkinson's disease. Injection-related complications: do not inject intravenously or into buttock (risk of Clostridial infections), digits, hands, or feet; hold leg firmly and limit movement in children prior to and during injection. Advise patient to seek medical help immediately. Train patient in use of device. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants, levothyroxine, antihistamines (eg, chlorpheniramine, tripelennamine, diphenhydramine). May be antagonized by β-blockers (eg, propranolol), α-blockers (eg, phentolamine), ergot alkaloids. Arrhythmias possible with cardiac glycosides, diuretics, or anti-arrhythmics.
Anxiety, apprehensiveness, restlessness, tremor, weakness, dizziness, sweating, palpitations, pallor, nausea, vomiting, headache, respiratory difficulties; arrhythmias; rare: serious infections (skin and soft tissue) at injection site, stress cardiomyopathy.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder