EPIPEN Jr Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Epinephrine 0.15mg (1:2000); prefilled auto-injector; contains sulfites.
Mylan Specialty L.P.
Indications for EPIPEN Jr:
Emergency treatment of allergic reactions (Type 1) including anaphylaxis.
Adults and Children:
Inject IM or SQ only into the anterolateral aspect of the thigh. <15kg: not studied. 15–30kg: 0.15mg. ≥30kg: 0.3mg. May repeat another dose if needed.
The presence of sulfite in this product should not deter use. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Diabetes. Parkinson's disease. Injection-related complications: do not inject intravenously or into buttock (risk of Clostridial infections), digits, hands, or feet; hold leg firmly and limit movement in children prior to and during injection. Advise patient to seek medical help immediately. Train patient in use of device. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants, levothyroxine, antihistamines (eg, chlorpheniramine, tripelennamine, diphenhydramine). May be antagonized by β-blockers (eg, propranolol), α-blockers (eg, phentolamine), ergot alkaloids. Arrhythmias possible with cardiac glycosides, diuretics, or anti-arrhythmics.
Anxiety, apprehensiveness, restlessness, tremor, weakness, dizziness, sweating, palpitations, pallor, nausea, vomiting, headache, respiratory difficulties; arrhythmias; rare: serious infections (skin and soft tissue) at injection site, stress cardiomyopathy.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age