ENTOCORT EC Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Budesonide (micronized) 3mg; e-c granules in caps.
Indications for ENTOCORT EC:
Treatment of mild-to-moderate active Crohn's disease of the ileum and/or ascending colon in patients ≥8yrs of age and maintenance of clinical remission for up to 3 months in adults.
Swallow whole. Treatment: 9mg once daily in the AM for up to 8 wks; may repeat an 8-week course. Maintenance of remission: 6mg once daily for up to 3 months. Taper other systemic steroids when transferring to budesonide. Moderate hepatic impairment: consider 3mg once daily. Severe hepatic impairment: avoid.
<8yrs: not established. Treatment: 8–17yrs (>25kg): 9mg once daily in the AM for up to 8 wks, then 6mg once daily for 2 wks.
Systemic fungal, viral, or mycobacterial infections. Hypertension. Diabetes. Osteoporosis. Peptic ulcer. Glaucoma. Cataracts. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Supplement with systemic steroid in surgery and stress. Caution when transferring from steroids with high systemic availability. Moderate hepatic impairment: monitor for hypercorticism and consider reducing the dose. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid grapefruit juice. Systemic effects potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir, erythromycin, cyclosporine); avoid.
Headache, respiratory infection, nausea, back pain, dyspepsia, dizziness, abdominal pain, flatulence, vomiting, fatigue, pain; hypercorticism.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition