ENTOCORT EC Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Budesonide (micronized) 3mg; e-c granules in caps.
Indications for ENTOCORT EC:
Treatment of mild-to-moderate active Crohn's disease of the ileum and/or ascending colon in patients ≥8yrs of age and maintenance of clinical remission for up to 3 months in adults.
Swallow whole. Treatment: 9mg once daily in the AM for up to 8 wks; may repeat an 8-week course. Maintenance of remission: 6mg once daily for up to 3 months. Taper other systemic steroids when transferring to budesonide. Moderate hepatic impairment: consider 3mg once daily. Severe hepatic impairment: avoid.
<8yrs: not established. Treatment: 8–17yrs (>25kg): 9mg once daily in the AM for up to 8 wks, then 6mg once daily for 2 wks.
Systemic fungal, viral, or mycobacterial infections. Hypertension. Diabetes. Osteoporosis. Peptic ulcer. Glaucoma. Cataracts. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Supplement with systemic steroid in surgery and stress. Caution when transferring from steroids with high systemic availability. Moderate hepatic impairment: monitor for hypercorticism and consider reducing the dose. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid grapefruit juice. Systemic effects potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir, erythromycin, cyclosporine); avoid.
Headache, respiratory infection, nausea, back pain, dyspepsia, dizziness, abdominal pain, flatulence, vomiting, fatigue, pain; hypercorticism.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age