ENTOCORT EC Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Budesonide (micronized) 3mg; e-c granules in caps.
Indications for ENTOCORT EC:
Treatment of mild-to-moderate active Crohn's disease of the ileum and/or ascending colon in patients ≥8yrs of age and maintenance of clinical remission for up to 3 months in adults.
Swallow whole. Treatment: 9mg once daily in the AM for up to 8 wks; may repeat an 8-week course. Maintenance of remission: 6mg once daily for up to 3 months. Taper other systemic steroids when transferring to budesonide. Moderate hepatic impairment: consider 3mg once daily. Severe hepatic impairment: avoid.
<8yrs: not established. Treatment: 8–17yrs (>25kg): 9mg once daily in the AM for up to 8 wks, then 6mg once daily for 2 wks.
Systemic fungal, viral, or mycobacterial infections. Hypertension. Diabetes. Osteoporosis. Peptic ulcer. Glaucoma. Cataracts. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Supplement with systemic steroid in surgery and stress. Caution when transferring from steroids with high systemic availability. Moderate hepatic impairment: monitor for hypercorticism and consider reducing the dose. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid grapefruit juice. Systemic effects potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir, erythromycin, cyclosporine); avoid.
Headache, respiratory infection, nausea, back pain, dyspepsia, dizziness, abdominal pain, flatulence, vomiting, fatigue, pain; hypercorticism.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder