Generic Name and Formulations:
Alvimopan 12mg; hard-gelatin caps.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ENTEREG:
To accelerate the time to upper and lower gastrointestinal recovery following surgeries that include partial bowel resection surgery with primary anastomosis.
Give 12mg 30mins to 5hrs before surgery, then 12mg twice daily starting on 1st post-op day until hospital discharge for up to 7 days; max 15 doses.
Opioid use, at therapeutic doses, for >7 consecutive days prior.
Potential risk of MI with long-term use: for short-term hospital use only.
For short-term hospital use only. Potential risk of MI with long-term use. Severe hepatic impairment, ESRD, complete GI obstruction, pancreatic or gastric anastomosis: not recommended. Mild-to-severe renal impairment or mild-to-moderate hepatic impairment: monitor closely; discontinue if adverse reactions occur. Recent (within week prior to surgery) use of >3 doses of opioids; monitor for GI events. Japanese patients (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Opioid antagonist (peripheral).
Available only to hospitals that enroll in Entereg Access Support and Education Program (EASE). For more information, and to enroll, call (877) 282-4786.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children