ENGERIX-B ADULT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis B vaccine (recombinant) 20mcg/mL; aluminum hydroxide adsorbed; IM inj; preservative-free; contains thimerosal (trace).
Indications for ENGERIX-B ADULT:
Hepatitis B immunization.
Give IM in deltoid muscle. 11–19yrs: 10mcg at elected date and repeat 1 and 6 months later, or 20mcg at elected date and repeat 1, 2, and 12 months later, or 20mcg at elected date and repeat 1 and 6 months later. >19yrs: 20mcg at elected date and repeat 1 and 6 months later, or 20mcg at elected date and repeat 1, 2, and 12 months later. Hemodialysis: 40mcg at elected date and repeat 1, 2, and 6 months later. High-risk: consider hepatitis B immune globulin also. Booster dose: when appropriate, may use 20mcg for persons 11yrs of age and older; hemodialysis patients booster dose is 40mcg.
Give IM in anterolateral thigh or deltoid; see literature. Infants (mothers are HBsAG negative): 10mcg at birth and repeat 1 and 6 months later; infants (mothers are HBsAG positive) and children through age 10yrs: 10mcg at elected date and repeat 1 and 6 months later, or 10mcg at elected date and repeat 1, 2, and 12 months later. High risk: consider hepatitis B immune globulin also. Booster doses: when appropriate, may use 10mcg for children age 10yrs or younger, or 20mcg for ages 11yrs and older.
May defer in acute febrile illness or active infection. May be given SC only if risk of hemorrhage. Have epinephrine inj available. Multiple sclerosis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Local reactions, malaise, nausea, diarrhea, rash. Anaphylaxis.
Pediatric/Adolescent (single-dose prefilled Tip-Lok syringe)—5 (without needles); Pediatric/Adolescent (single-dose vials)—1, 10; Adult (single-dose prefilled Tip-Lok syringe)—5 (without needles); Adult (single-dose vials)—1, 10, 25
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management