Enalaprilat Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Enalaprilat 1.25mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Enalaprilat Injection:
To reduce blood pressure when oral therapy is not practical.
Give by IV inj over 5 minutes (administer over a longer period of time [up to 1 hour] in patients at risk for excessive hypotension). 1.25mg every 6 hours; max 20mg/day. Concomitant diuretics or CrCl≤30mL/min: initially 0.625mg; if inadequate response after 1 hour, may give additional 0.625mg dose; additional doses of 1.25mg may be given every 6 hours thereafter.
History of ACEI-associated or other angioedema. Pregnancy (Cat.D in 2nd and 3rd trimesters).
Renal or hepatic impairment. Salt/volume depletion. Severe CHF. Renal artery or aortic stenosis. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Monitor for neutropenia in renal or collagen vascular disease. Monitor for hyperkalemia in diabetics. Dialysis. Surgery. Discontinue if laryngeal edema, angioedema, marked elevations of liver enzymes or jaundice occurs. Black patients may have higher risk of angioedema than non-black patients. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C in 1st trimester). Nursing mothers.
Hypotension with diuretics. Hyperkalemia with K+-sparing diuretics or K+ supplements. May increase lithium levels. May be antagonized by NSAIDS.
Headache, orthostatic hypotension, asthenia, hyperkalemia, renal impairment, nausea, cough; angioedema, liver dysfunction, blood dyscrasias (rare).
Formerly known under the brand name Vasotec.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children