Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor VIII (Recombinant), Fc fusion protein 250 IU, 500 IU, 750 IU , 1000 IU, 1500 IU, 2000 IU, 3000 IU; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains sucrose; preservative-free.
Indications for ELOCTATE:
In patients with Hemophilia A: to control and prevent hemorrhagic episodes, for perioperative management, and routine prophylaxis to prevent or reduce the frequency of hemorrhagic episodes.
Adults and Children:
Dosage Required (IU) = Body Weight (kg) × Desired % Factor VIII Increase × 0.5. Individualize. Give by IV bolus infusion at max rate 10mL/min. Children <6yrs: higher or more frequent dosing may be needed (see full labeling). Hemorrhage: Minor/moderate: obtain 40–60% FVIII increase; give 20–30 IU/kg every 24–48hrs until resolved. Major: obtain 80–100% FVIII increase; give 40–50 IU/kg every 12–24hrs until resolved ( approx. 7–10 days). Perioperative: Minor: obtain 50–80% FVIII increase; give 25–40 IU/kg every 24hrs for at least 1 day until healing achieved. Major: obtain 80–120% FVIII increase (pre- and post-op); give pre-op dose (40–60 IU/kg) followed by repeat dose (40–50 IU/kg) after 8–24hrs and then every 24hrs to maintain target range; give until adequate wound healing, then continue for at least 7 days to maintain target range. Routine prophylaxis: 50 IU/kg every 4 days; may adjust to range of 25–65 IU/kg at 3–5 day intervals based on response.
Not for von Willebrand's disease. Monitor for development of Factor VIII inhibitors; perform Bethesda inhibitor assay if expected Factor VIII plasma levels not attained or if bleeding not controlled with expected dose. Monitor plasma Factor VIII activity via validated test (eg, one stage clotting assay). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Arthralgia, malaise; hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occur).
Kit—1 (vial w. diluent and vial adapter)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV