Generic Name and Formulations:
Epirubicin HCl 2mg/mL; soln for IV infusion; preservative-free.
Indications for ELLENCE:
Adjuvant therapy in patients with evidence of axillary node tumor involvement following resection of primary breast cancer.
Give by IV infusion over 15–20 minutes. Administer in repeated 3–4 week cycles for a total of 6 cycles. Total dose may be given on Day 1 of each cycle; or divided equally and given on Days 1 and 8 of each cycle. Initially 100–120mg/m2. Bone marrow dysfunction: consider lower starting dose (75–90mg/m2). Renal or hepatic impairment, dose adjustments: see full labeling.
Baseline neutrophil count <1500 cells/mm3. Cardiomyopathy and/or heart failure. Recent MI. Severe arrhythmias. Previous treatment with anthracyclines (max cumulative doses). Severe hepatic dysfunction.
Cardiovascular disease. Prior or concomitant radiotherapy to mediastinal/pericardial area. Previous anthracycline therapy. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor CBCs, platelets, cardiac, renal, and hepatic function before and during each treatment cycle. Consider monitoring serum uric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphate after starting therapy. Avoid extravasation. Elderly (esp. female ≥70yrs). Advise women of child-bearing potential to avoid becoming pregnant during treatment and use effective contraceptive methods. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with other cardiotoxic drugs. Avoid concomitant live vaccines. Potentiated by cimetidine; stop cimetidine during therapy. Inflammatory recall reaction possible with previous radiation therapy.
Myelosuppression (leukopenia, neutropenia, anemia, thrombocytopenia), amenorrhea, lethargy, nausea, vomiting, mucositis, diarrhea, infection, conjunctivitis/keratitis, alopecia, local toxicity, rash/itch; cardiotoxicity, hyperuricemia, acute myelogenous leukemia.
Single-use vials (25mL, 100mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder