Generic Name and Formulations:
Ulipristal acetate 30mg; tab.
Indications for ELLA:
Prevention of pregnancy following unprotected intercourse or known or suspected contraceptive failure. Not for use as regular contraceptive.
Take 1 tab as soon as possible within 120hrs (5 days) after unprotected intercourse or contraceptive failure. May repeat dose if vomiting occurs within 3hrs.
Premenarchal: not applicable.
Known/suspected pregnancy (Cat.X).
Not for termination of an existing pregnancy. Exclude pregnancy before prescribing. Rule out ectopic pregnancy if lower abdominal pain occurs. Rule out pregnancy if subsequent menses delayed by >1 week. Does not protect against STDs/HIV (AIDS). Repeat use within same menstrual cycle: not recommended. Postmenopausal women, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Drugs (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, topiramate) or herbals (eg, St. John's wort) that induce certain enzymes (eg, CYP3A4) may decrease effectiveness. May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole). May antagonize regular hormonal contraceptives; use barrier contraception for remainder of menstrual cycle. May potentiate P-gp substrates (eg, dabigatran etexilate, digoxin).
Headache, abdominal pain, nausea, dysmenorrhea, fatigue, dizziness; menstrual cycle changes.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records