Generic Name and Formulations:
Ulipristal acetate 30mg; tab.
Indications for ELLA:
Prevention of pregnancy following unprotected intercourse or known or suspected contraceptive failure. Not for use as regular contraceptive.
Take 1 tab as soon as possible within 120hrs (5 days) after unprotected intercourse or contraceptive failure. May repeat dose if vomiting occurs within 3hrs.
Premenarchal: not applicable.
Known/suspected pregnancy (Cat.X).
Not for termination of an existing pregnancy. Exclude pregnancy before prescribing. Rule out ectopic pregnancy if lower abdominal pain occurs. Rule out pregnancy if subsequent menses delayed by >1 week. Does not protect against STDs/HIV (AIDS). Repeat use within same menstrual cycle: not recommended. Postmenopausal women, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Drugs (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, topiramate) or herbals (eg, St. John's wort) that induce certain enzymes (eg, CYP3A4) may decrease effectiveness. May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole). May antagonize regular hormonal contraceptives; use barrier contraception for remainder of menstrual cycle. May potentiate P-gp substrates (eg, dabigatran etexilate, digoxin).
Headache, abdominal pain, nausea, dysmenorrhea, fatigue, dizziness; menstrual cycle changes.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders