ELIGEN B12 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyanocobalamin 1000mcg, salcaprozate sodium 100mg; tabs.
Indications for ELIGEN B12:
Dietary management of patients with Vit. B12 deficiency that cannot be managed by a modification of the normal diet alone (eg, pernicious anemia, malabsorption of Vit. B12, others).
Take on empty stomach (at least 1hr before a meal) with water. ≥18yrs: initially 1 tab daily; may adjust up to max 2 tabs daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Sensitivity to cobalt. Hereditary optic nerve atrophy (Leber's disease).
Confirm diagnosis. Risk of hypokalemia and sudden death in severe megaloblastic anemia. Infection, uremia, and iron or folic acid deficiency may reduce response. May unmask polycythemia vera. Obtain hematocrit, reticulocyte count, Vit. B12, folate, iron levels prior to treatment. May need supplemental folate. Reevaluate if low levels of Vit. B12 persist despite treatment. Monitor B12 blood levels 1 month after starting therapy, 1 month after any dose increase, and regularly at 3–6 month intervals. Monitor serum potassium, platelet counts. Pregnancy.
Antibiotics, methotrexate, pyrimethamine may interfere with lab tests. Colchicine, para-aminosalicylic acid, chronic heavy alcohol use may impair Vit. B12 absorption; may need to adjust dose. Reduced response with bone marrow suppressants (eg, chloramphenicol).
Pulmonary edema, CHF, peripheral vascular thrombosis, polycythemia vera, mild transient diarrhea, itching, transitory exanthema, body swelling, possible anaphylactic shock and death.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder