ELIGEN B12 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyanocobalamin 1000mcg, salcaprozate sodium 100mg; tabs.
Indications for ELIGEN B12:
Dietary management of patients with Vit. B12 deficiency that cannot be managed by a modification of the normal diet alone (eg, pernicious anemia, malabsorption of Vit. B12, others).
Take on empty stomach (at least 1hr before a meal) with water. ≥18yrs: initially 1 tab daily; may adjust up to max 2 tabs daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Sensitivity to cobalt. Hereditary optic nerve atrophy (Leber's disease).
Confirm diagnosis. Risk of hypokalemia and sudden death in severe megaloblastic anemia. Infection, uremia, and iron or folic acid deficiency may reduce response. May unmask polycythemia vera. Obtain hematocrit, reticulocyte count, Vit. B12, folate, iron levels prior to treatment. May need supplemental folate. Reevaluate if low levels of Vit. B12 persist despite treatment. Monitor B12 blood levels 1 month after starting therapy, 1 month after any dose increase, and regularly at 3–6 month intervals. Monitor serum potassium, platelet counts. Pregnancy.
Antibiotics, methotrexate, pyrimethamine may interfere with lab tests. Colchicine, para-aminosalicylic acid, chronic heavy alcohol use may impair Vit. B12 absorption; may need to adjust dose. Reduced response with bone marrow suppressants (eg, chloramphenicol).
Pulmonary edema, CHF, peripheral vascular thrombosis, polycythemia vera, mild transient diarrhea, itching, transitory exanthema, body swelling, possible anaphylactic shock and death.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed