Generic Name and Formulations:
Leuprolide acetate 7.5mg, 22.5mg, 30mg, 45mg; per inj; ext-rel susp for SC inj.
Indications for ELIGARD:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Allow product to reach room temperature before using; inject within 30 minutes of mixing. Use correct formulation. Rotate inj sites. 7.5mg SC once per month; or 22.5mg SC once every 3 months; or 30mg SC once every 4 months; or 45mg SC once every 6 months.
May worsen metastatic vertebral lesions and/or urinary tract obstruction; monitor closely during first few weeks. Increased risk of diabetes, MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor blood glucose, HbA1c, and for signs/symptoms of CVD during therapy. Risk of QT prolongation in patients with congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, or frequent electrolyte abnormalities. Correct and monitor electrolyte abnormalities; consider monitoring ECGs. Monitor serum testosterone, PSA periodically. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval. May interfere with pituitary-gonadal diagnostic tests.
Malaise, fatigue, hot flashes/sweats, testicular atrophy, local reactions (eg, burning/stinging, pain, erythema, bruising, pruritus); transient worsening of signs/symptoms (eg, bone pain, neuropathy, hematuria, bladder outlet obstruction), spinal cord compression, hyperglycemia, decreased bone density; rare: pituitary apoplexy.
Single-use kit—1 (with sterile or sterile safety needle)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder