Generic Name and Formulations:
Selegiline HCl 5mg; caps.
Somerset Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ELDEPRYL:
Adjunct to levodopa/ carbidopa in Parkinsonism.
5mg at breakfast and at lunch; max 10mg/day. After 2–3 days, levodopa/ carbidopa dosage may be reduced by 10–30%; further reductions may be possible later.
Concomitant meperidine, other opioids (See Interactions).
Selectivity for MAO type B diminishes at doses over 10mg/day. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Contraindicated with meperidine, possibly other opioids (hyperpyretic crisis). Avoid concomitant tricyclic antidepressants or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Allow at least 5 weeks (or more if used chronically or at high doses) between fluoxetine discontinuance and 2 weeks between paroxetine or sertraline discontinuance before starting selegiline; allow 2 weeks between selegiline discontinuance before starting tricyclic antidepressants or SSRIs. Caution with tyramine-containing foods and with sympathomimetics.
Nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, syncope, abdominal pain, confusion, vivid dreams, hallucinations, dry mouth, headache.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder