Generic Name and Formulations:
Selegiline HCl 5mg; caps.
Somerset Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ELDEPRYL:
Adjunct to levodopa/ carbidopa in Parkinsonism.
5mg at breakfast and at lunch; max 10mg/day. After 2–3 days, levodopa/ carbidopa dosage may be reduced by 10–30%; further reductions may be possible later.
Concomitant meperidine, other opioids (See Interactions).
Selectivity for MAO type B diminishes at doses over 10mg/day. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Contraindicated with meperidine, possibly other opioids (hyperpyretic crisis). Avoid concomitant tricyclic antidepressants or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Allow at least 5 weeks (or more if used chronically or at high doses) between fluoxetine discontinuance and 2 weeks between paroxetine or sertraline discontinuance before starting selegiline; allow 2 weeks between selegiline discontinuance before starting tricyclic antidepressants or SSRIs. Caution with tyramine-containing foods and with sympathomimetics.
Nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, syncope, abdominal pain, confusion, vivid dreams, hallucinations, dry mouth, headache.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations