Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium (as bicarbonate and citrate) 10mEq, 20mEq, 25mEq; effervescent tabs for soln; unflavored, cherry vanilla, orange cream, lemon citrus, cherry berry flavors.
Indications for EFFER-K:
Hypokalemia with or without metabolic alkalosis. Digitalis intoxication. Hypokalemic familial periodic paralysis. Prevention of potassium depletion when dietary intake is inadequate.
Take with food or immediately after a meal; sip slowly over 5–10 mins. 1 tab 1–4 times daily, based on patient requirement. Dissolve each 10mEq tab in 2–3oz of cold water or juice (if unflavored); dissolve each 20mEq tab in 3–4oz of cold water or juice (if unflavored); dissolve each 25mEq tab in 4oz of cold water or 12–16oz of cold juice (if unflavored).
Hyperkalemia. Chronic renal disease. Metabolic acidosis. Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus. Esophageal compression. Delayed gastric emptying. Intestinal obstruction/stricture. Peptic ulcer. Concomitant potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, spironolactone, triamterene).
Discontinue if GI bleed, ulceration, or other disturbances occur. Acidosis. Renal or cardiac disease. Monitor serum potassium and magnesium levels, renal function, clinical status, acid-base balance, and ECG. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Hyperkalemia with potassium-sparing diuretics, ACE inhibitors, NSAIDs, beta-adrenergic blockers, heparin, low-salt foods, potassium-containing drugs, digitalis glycosides, others.
Hyperkalemia, nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, diarrhea.
Tabs 10mEq, 20mEq—30; 25mEq—30, 100 (orange-flavored)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder