Generic Name and Formulations:
Zolpidem tartrate 5mg, 10mg; sublingual tabs.
Indications for EDLUAR:
≥18yrs: Use lowest effective dose. Place 1 tab under tongue and allow to dissolve; do not take with food, water, or alcohol. Initially 5mg (in women), and 5mg or 10mg (in men) at bedtime (take only if able to get 7–8hrs of sleep before becoming active again). Both: if 5mg dose ineffective, may increase to max 10mg. Elderly, debilitated, or hepatic impairment: 5mg once daily at bedtime. Effect delayed if taken with a meal.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Increased risk of next-day psychomotor impairment. Depression. Abnormal thinking and behavioral changes. Compromised respiratory function (eg, sleep apnea). Conditions that affect metabolism or hemodynamic response. Myasthenia gravis. Evaluate for co-morbid diagnoses before initiation. Reevaluate if insomnia persists after 7–10 days of use. Drug or alcohol abuse. Write Rx for smallest practical amount. Withdraw gradually. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant other sedative-hypnotics including other zolpidem products: not recommended. May potentiate CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, benzodiazepines, opioids, tricyclics). May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole), sertraline. Decreased alertness with imipramine, chlorpromazine. May be antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin).
CNS effects (eg, hallucinations, agitation, behavioral changes, depersonalization, amnesia), complex sleep-related behaviors (eg, sleep-driving), headache, drowsiness, dizziness, diarrhea, anaphylaxis, angioedema; others.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV