Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprostadil (in alfadex inclusion complex) 10mcg, 20mcg, 40mcg; per cartridge; pwd for intracavernous inj after reconstitution.
Indications for EDEX:
Inject over 5–10 seconds into the lateral aspect of the proximal third of the penis, avoid visible veins; rotate injection side and site. Determine optimum dose in office. If no response occurs, may give next higher dose in 1 hour. If response occurs, must wait 24 hours before next dose. Vasculogenic, psychogenic, or mixed etiology: initially 2.5mcg. If partial response to initial dose, may give 2nd dose of 5mcg and then may increase by increments of 5–10mcg until desired response achieved. If no response to initial dose, may give 2nd dose of 7.5mcg and then may increase by increments of 5–10mcg until desired response achieved. Neurogenic etiology: initially 1.25mcg. May give 2nd dose of 2.5mcg, and 3rd dose of 5mcg, and then may increase by increments of 5mcg until desired response achieved. Max: 40mcg and 3 self-injections per week; allow at least 24 hours between doses. Reduce dose if erection lasts over 1 hour.
Predisposition to priapism. Fibrotic conditions of the penis (eg, cavernosal fibrosis, Peyronie's disease). Penile implants.
Treat priapism immediately. Reevaluate every 3 months. Discontinue if penile fibrosis occurs. Preexisting cardiovascular disease. Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not indicated.
Concomitant vasoactive agents: not recommended. Caution with concomitant heparin.
Penile pain, priapism, inj site reactions, penile angulation or fibrosis, hypertension, headache, dizziness, upper respiratory infections, others.
2-cartridge pack (w. 1 inj device & supplies)—1; 6-cartridge pack (w. 1 inj device & supplies)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder