Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprostadil (in alfadex inclusion complex) 10mcg, 20mcg, 40mcg; per cartridge; pwd for intracavernous inj after reconstitution.
Indications for EDEX:
Inject over 5–10 seconds into the lateral aspect of the proximal third of the penis, avoid visible veins; rotate injection side and site. Determine optimum dose in office. If no response occurs, may give next higher dose in 1 hour. If response occurs, must wait 24 hours before next dose. Vasculogenic, psychogenic, or mixed etiology: initially 2.5mcg. If partial response to initial dose, may give 2nd dose of 5mcg and then may increase by increments of 5–10mcg until desired response achieved. If no response to initial dose, may give 2nd dose of 7.5mcg and then may increase by increments of 5–10mcg until desired response achieved. Neurogenic etiology: initially 1.25mcg. May give 2nd dose of 2.5mcg, and 3rd dose of 5mcg, and then may increase by increments of 5mcg until desired response achieved. Max: 40mcg and 3 self-injections per week; allow at least 24 hours between doses. Reduce dose if erection lasts over 1 hour.
Predisposition to priapism. Fibrotic conditions of the penis (eg, cavernosal fibrosis, Peyronie's disease). Penile implants.
Treat priapism immediately. Reevaluate every 3 months. Discontinue if penile fibrosis occurs. Preexisting cardiovascular disease. Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not indicated.
Concomitant vasoactive agents: not recommended. Caution with concomitant heparin.
Penile pain, priapism, inj site reactions, penile angulation or fibrosis, hypertension, headache, dizziness, upper respiratory infections, others.
2-cartridge pack (w. 1 inj device & supplies)—1; 6-cartridge pack (w. 1 inj device & supplies)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders