Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethacrynic acid 25mg; scored tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for EDECRIN:
Treatment of edema when greater diuretic potential is required.
Initially 50–100mg daily; adjust in 25–50mg increments. Usual maintenance: 50–200mg daily or intermittently.
See Contraindications. Initially 25mg; adjust gradually in 25mg increments (see literature).
Anuria. Infants. If severe, watery diarrhea occurs, discontinue use and do not restart.
Renal impairment. Hepatic cirrhosis. Monitor weight, renal function, electrolytes, CO2, BUN. Potassium supplementation may be needed. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Digitalis, lithium toxicity. May alter excretion of lithium. Potentiates warfarin. Antagonized by NSAIDs. Orthostatic hypotension with antihypertensives. Ototoxicity with aminoglycosides, other ototoxic agents. May alter glucose tolerance tests.
GI upset, anorexia, malaise, abdominal pain, dysphagia, ototoxicity, vertigo, headache, rash, electrolyte imbalance, hyperuricemia, gout, hyperglycemia; rare: agranulocytosis, severe neutropenia, thrombocytopenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders