Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethacrynic acid 25mg; scored tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for EDECRIN:
Treatment of edema when greater diuretic potential is required.
Initially 50–100mg daily; adjust in 25–50mg increments. Usual maintenance: 50–200mg daily or intermittently.
See Contraindications. Initially 25mg; adjust gradually in 25mg increments (see literature).
Anuria. Infants. If severe, watery diarrhea occurs, discontinue use and do not restart.
Renal impairment. Hepatic cirrhosis. Monitor weight, renal function, electrolytes, CO2, BUN. Potassium supplementation may be needed. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Digitalis, lithium toxicity. May alter excretion of lithium. Potentiates warfarin. Antagonized by NSAIDs. Orthostatic hypotension with antihypertensives. Ototoxicity with aminoglycosides, other ototoxic agents. May alter glucose tolerance tests.
GI upset, anorexia, malaise, abdominal pain, dysphagia, ototoxicity, vertigo, headache, rash, electrolyte imbalance, hyperuricemia, gout, hyperglycemia; rare: agranulocytosis, severe neutropenia, thrombocytopenia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder