Generic Name and Formulations:
Azilsartan medoxomil 40mg, 80mg; tabs.
Arbor Pharmaceuticals, LLC
Indications for EDARBI:
Hypertension, alone or in combination with other antihypertensive agents.
≥18yrs: Monotherapy, not volume-depleted: 80mg once daily. Volume-depleted (eg, concomitant high-dose diuretics): initially 40mg once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Concomitant aliskiren-containing products in patients with diabetes.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Correct salt/volume depletion before starting therapy, or reduce initial dose (see Adult); monitor for hypotension. Renal impairment: monitor for worsening renal function. Severe CHF. Renal artery stenosis. Severe hepatic impairment. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB).
See Contraindications. Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs, ACEIs, or aliskiren may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes; avoid or monitor closely. Avoid concomitant aliskiren in renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min). May be antagonized by, and renal toxicity potentiated by NSAIDs, including selective COX-2 inhibitors (monitor renal function esp. in elderly and/or volume-depleted). May potentiate lithium; monitor.
Diarrhea; orthostatic hypotension, elevated serum creatinine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses