The correlation between weight suppression and duration of bulimia nervosa is mediated by leptin.
In the past, clinicians believed anorexia arose from control battles with parents and that the individual had to develop insight and motivation to recover.
In male veterans, eating disorder symptoms are associated with military-related trauma.
For adolescents with anorexia nervosa, telehealth-enabled FBT is effective.
Binge-eating disorder relapse risk with lisdexamfetamine was markedly lower than with placebo.
In patients with eating disorders, rTMS of the DMPFC seems to be beneficial for treating PTSD.
Long-term negative consequences can be associated with anorexia nervosa, and many times patients do not experience remission.
Binge eating disorder is the most common eating disorder in adults and has the potential for serious health implications if left untreated.
Researchers in Boston found that nearly two-thirds of women with eating disorders did recover.
Providing care for the mental and physical health of people with diabetes will simultaneously improve both outcomes.
Routine screening for eating disorders may be necessary in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome.
A study suggested that weight suppression explains a significant amount of variance in bulimic syndrome impairment.
Nearly 1 in 10 patients seeking facial plastic surgery suffers from body dysmorphic disorder,
Eating disorders are not confined to adolescence and early adulthood.
Continued symptom improvement and meaningful recovery are possible in anorexia nervosa beyond the first decade of follow-up.
There were higher levels of activity and work impairment, as well as health care utilization for individuals with binge-eating disorder.
Exercise time per day is associated with a higher Eating Disorder Examination (EDE) global score in adults with anorexia.
Investigators identified abnormal modularity patterns in the brain in individuals with anorexia and body dysmorphic disorder.
Veterans remain understudied in the field of eating disorders, possibly due to the misperception that men are not affected by them.
FDA approval was based on a single clinical trial involving 111 patients, which was funded by the device manufacturer.
Approximately 40% of American college students engage in binge drinking at least once in the past 2 weeks.
This brief sampling illustrates the diversity of content being presented at the annual meeting.
Those in the calorie cutting group said their sleep and relationships also improved.
Those with eating disorders had higher scores in scales measuring alcohol dependence, alcohol-related problems, and intoxication.
Researchers found that the depression treatment rTMS cut the urges to restrict food in anorexia.
Individuals with anorexia nervosa mainly died from natural causes of the eating disorder.
Almost one-quarter of the victims of bullies had a psychiatric diagnosis as a young adult.
Those who were bullied were almost twice as likely to have symptoms of bulimia compared to those who weren't bullied.
People who suffer from anorexia nervosa use a brain region associated with habitual behavior in making decisions about what to eat.
Reducing stress, having a regular eating schedule and bright light therapy are among the ways to treat the disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Schizophrenia Medication With Digital Ingestion Sensor
- Increased Depression Severity Following Childhood Exposure to Adversity, Risk
- Suboptimal Neuromotor Development Related to Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia
- Effectiveness of Sertraline in Depressed Patients With Advanced Chronic Kidney Disease
- No Association Between Comorbid Anxiety Disorders, Suicide Attempts
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Reduces PTSD Symptoms
- Micronutrients Improve Some Symptoms of ADHD
- Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics Delay Schizophrenia Relapse
- Transcranial Stimulation Reduces Auditory Hallucinations in Schizophrenia
- Postpartum Anxiety, Depression Reduced by Probiotics
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Not Just an Adult Condition
- Prior Mental Disorders Linked to Subsequent Onset of Chronic Back or Neck Pain
- Posttreatment Brain Effects of Psilocybin in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Brexanolone Trials Show Positive Results in Reducing Symptoms of Postpartum Depression
- ADHD Medication Exposure Associated With Increased Neonatal Mortality