As there are no currently approved medical therapies for the treatment of anorexia, further study is necessary to determine the long-term efficacy and safety of a ghrelin agonist.
Women at both ends of the weight spectrum have low serum allopregnanolone which can be linked to severe depression and anxiety.
Females who suffer from anorexia nervosahave lower gut microbial diversity.
Depersonalizing may help a lot of struggling parents understand the severity of an eating disorder.
The correlation between weight suppression and duration of bulimia nervosa is mediated by leptin.
In the past, clinicians believed anorexia arose from control battles with parents and that the individual had to develop insight and motivation to recover.
In male veterans, eating disorder symptoms are associated with military-related trauma.
For adolescents with anorexia nervosa, telehealth-enabled FBT is effective.
Binge-eating disorder relapse risk with lisdexamfetamine was markedly lower than with placebo.
In patients with eating disorders, rTMS of the DMPFC seems to be beneficial for treating PTSD.
Long-term negative consequences can be associated with anorexia nervosa, and many times patients do not experience remission.
Binge eating disorder is the most common eating disorder in adults and has the potential for serious health implications if left untreated.
Researchers in Boston found that nearly two-thirds of women with eating disorders did recover.
Providing care for the mental and physical health of people with diabetes will simultaneously improve both outcomes.
Routine screening for eating disorders may be necessary in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome.
A study suggested that weight suppression explains a significant amount of variance in bulimic syndrome impairment.
Nearly 1 in 10 patients seeking facial plastic surgery suffers from body dysmorphic disorder,
Eating disorders are not confined to adolescence and early adulthood.
Continued symptom improvement and meaningful recovery are possible in anorexia nervosa beyond the first decade of follow-up.
There were higher levels of activity and work impairment, as well as health care utilization for individuals with binge-eating disorder.
Exercise time per day is associated with a higher Eating Disorder Examination (EDE) global score in adults with anorexia.
Investigators identified abnormal modularity patterns in the brain in individuals with anorexia and body dysmorphic disorder.
Veterans remain understudied in the field of eating disorders, possibly due to the misperception that men are not affected by them.
FDA approval was based on a single clinical trial involving 111 patients, which was funded by the device manufacturer.
Approximately 40% of American college students engage in binge drinking at least once in the past 2 weeks.
This brief sampling illustrates the diversity of content being presented at the annual meeting.
Those in the calorie cutting group said their sleep and relationships also improved.
Those with eating disorders had higher scores in scales measuring alcohol dependence, alcohol-related problems, and intoxication.
Researchers found that the depression treatment rTMS cut the urges to restrict food in anorexia.
Individuals with anorexia nervosa mainly died from natural causes of the eating disorder.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Amisulpride May Be Most Effective Antipsychotic for Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia
- Frustrations With Prior Authorization: A Thorn in the Side of Clinicians
- Efficacy of Drugs for Psychosis, Relapse Prevention for Bipolar Depression, Mania
- No Evidence of Cognitive Impairment With Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate in ADHD
- Plasma Autoantibodies Possible Biomarker for Schizophrenia
- Substance-Induced Psychosis Associated With Development of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Neuropsychiatric Events May Be Linked to Nitrated Nucleosome Levels in Lupus
- New APA Guideline Recommendation for Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder
- Reducing PTSD Symptoms: Propranolol Before Reactivation Therapy
- Cannabis Use Associated With Subsequent Psychotic Experiences in Adolescents
- Cognitive Enhancement Therapy Beneficial for Neurocognitive Function in Autism
- The Crisis of Physician Suicides: Past and Present
- Affective Temperaments in Bipolar Have a Significant Impact on Functional, Clinical Outcomes of Mania
- Ketamine: A Promising Agent for Managing Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Patterns of Healthcare Use Before Diagnosis of Psychotic Disorders in Young Adults