The patient obtained prescriptions for bupropion XR from psychiatrists and primary care physicians who were not aware of her past medical history.
Exercising and eating less were the top weight loss methods, and more women than men attempted weight loss.
The altered brain reward response seen in adolescents with anorexia in this study may indicate alterations in dopamine function, which may play a key role in anorexia's pathophysiology.
The researchers noted that these findings highlight the complexity of obesity as a disease that shares a common etiology with some psychiatric and addictive disorders.
The results from this trial follow similar positive findings from a flexible-dose study of dasotraline.
Almost 3% of teenagers aged 13 to 18 years have food, weight, and body image issues severe enough to constitute an eating disorder.
These data suggest the need for targeted interventions in children with psychotic experiences to prevent disordered eating behaviors in later adolescence.
Young adults at a weight status classified as overweight or obese have increased prevalence of disordered eating behaviors.
Investigators sought to determine whether both restrictive and purging types of anorexia nervosa effect bone metabolism.
Women with anorexia nervosa and oligo-amenorrheic athletes have been reported to have low bone mineral density and an increased fracture risk.
Treatment outcomes for adolescents with eating disorders seem to correlate with family reports of perceived helpfulness of family-based treatment.
Parent encouragement to lose weight or diet can lead to long-term harmful eating disorders and emotional health problems.
Adolescents who develop anorexia nervosa before the age of 14 have a higher risk of unfavorable outcomes.
Interventions for diet-treated chronic illnesses may increase the risk for eating disorders.
As there are no currently approved medical therapies for the treatment of anorexia, further study is necessary to determine the long-term efficacy and safety of a ghrelin agonist.
Women at both ends of the weight spectrum have low serum allopregnanolone which can be linked to severe depression and anxiety.
Females who suffer from anorexia nervosahave lower gut microbial diversity.
Depersonalizing may help a lot of struggling parents understand the severity of an eating disorder.
The correlation between weight suppression and duration of bulimia nervosa is mediated by leptin.
In the past, clinicians believed anorexia arose from control battles with parents and that the individual had to develop insight and motivation to recover.
In male veterans, eating disorder symptoms are associated with military-related trauma.
For adolescents with anorexia nervosa, telehealth-enabled FBT is effective.
Binge-eating disorder relapse risk with lisdexamfetamine was markedly lower than with placebo.
In patients with eating disorders, rTMS of the DMPFC seems to be beneficial for treating PTSD.
Long-term negative consequences can be associated with anorexia nervosa, and many times patients do not experience remission.
Binge eating disorder is the most common eating disorder in adults and has the potential for serious health implications if left untreated.
Researchers in Boston found that nearly two-thirds of women with eating disorders did recover.
Providing care for the mental and physical health of people with diabetes will simultaneously improve both outcomes.
Routine screening for eating disorders may be necessary in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome.
A study suggested that weight suppression explains a significant amount of variance in bulimic syndrome impairment.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Oral Therapy for Suicidal Bipolar Depression Gets Breakthrough Designation
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Updates in Borderline Personality Disorder: Your Questions Answered
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Shame Drives Suicidal Ideation Among Veterans With PTSD
- Long-term Healthy Diet Associated With Greater Hippocampal Volumes
- FDA to Ban Most Flavored Electronic Cigarettes
- Predictors of CBT Outcomes Identified in Youths With Anxiety Disorders
- Happy Childhood Memories Associated With Better Health
- FDA Launches MyStudies Mobile App in Effort to Increase Access to Real World Patient Data
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression