Generic Name and Formulations:
Triamterene 50mg, 100mg; caps.
WellSpring Pharmaceuticals, Corp.
Indications for DYRENIUM:
Take after meals. Initially 100mg twice daily; max 300mg daily.
Concomitant K+ supplements, K+-sparing diuretics, salt substitutes. Hyperkalemia. Anuria. Renal impairment. Severe hepatic disease.
Diabetes. Severely ill. Acidosis predisposition. Electrolyte imbalance. History of renal stones. Gout. Hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, electrolytes, hepatic and renal function frequently. Discontinue if serum potassium >5.5mEq/L or renal values progress. ECG changes or arrhythmias require prompt treatment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid K+-sparing diuretics, K+ supplements, and K+ containing salt substitutes. Lithium toxicity. Hyperkalemia more likely with ACE inhibitors. Hyponatremia with sulfonylureas. Acute renal failure with NSAIDs. Adjust antidiabetic medications. Potentiates antihypertensives, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants, anesthetics.
Diuretic (K+ sparing).
Rarely: anaphylaxis, rash, photosensitivity, hyper- or hypokalemia, azotemia, renal stones, acute interstitial nephritis, jaundice, GI upset, electrolyte disturbances, blood dyscrasias, weakness, fatigue, dizziness, dry mouth.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders