Generic Name and Formulations:
Droperidol 2.5mg/mL; soln for IV or IM inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Droperidol:
To reduce incidence of nausea and vomiting associated with surgical and diagnostic procedures.
Max initial dose: 2.5mg IM or slow IV; may give additional 1.25mg doses to achieve desired effect.
<2yrs: not recommended. ≥2yrs: max initial dose: 0.1mg/kg.
QT prolongation (including congenital long QT syndrome).
Perform ECG prior to administration to determine if prolonged QT interval present; if prolonged, do not administer unless treatment outweighs risks; if treating, monitor for arrhythmias: perform ECG prior to treatment and 2–3hrs after completion. Risk factors for QT prolongation: CHF, bradycardia, cardiac hypertrophy, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, >65yrs, alcohol abuse. Pheochromocytoma. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Critically ill. Labor & delivery: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Risk of QT prolongation with concomitant Class I and III antiarrhythmics, MAOIs, antimalarials, calcium channel blockers, benzodiazepines, volatile anesthetics, IV opiates, other drugs that prolong QT interval. Caution with drugs that induce hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia (eg, diuretics, laxatives). Additive effects with CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, tranquilizers, opioids, general anesthetics). Possible hypertension with concomitant fentanyl citrate inj.
Hypotension, tachycardia, dysphoria, drowsiness, restlessness, hyperactivity, anxiety, QT prolonation, torsade de pointes, cardiac arrest, ventricular tachycardia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, post-op hallucinatory episodes.
Formerly known under the brand name Inapsine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses