Generic Name and Formulations:
Droperidol 2.5mg/mL; soln for IV or IM inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Droperidol:
To reduce incidence of nausea and vomiting associated with surgical and diagnostic procedures.
Max initial dose: 2.5mg IM or slow IV; may give additional 1.25mg doses to achieve desired effect.
<2yrs: not recommended. ≥2yrs: max initial dose: 0.1mg/kg.
QT prolongation (including congenital long QT syndrome).
Perform ECG prior to administration to determine if prolonged QT interval present; if prolonged, do not administer unless treatment outweighs risks; if treating, monitor for arrhythmias: perform ECG prior to treatment and 2–3hrs after completion. Risk factors for QT prolongation: CHF, bradycardia, cardiac hypertrophy, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, >65yrs, alcohol abuse. Pheochromocytoma. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Critically ill. Labor & delivery: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Risk of QT prolongation with concomitant Class I and III antiarrhythmics, MAOIs, antimalarials, calcium channel blockers, benzodiazepines, volatile anesthetics, IV opiates, other drugs that prolong QT interval. Caution with drugs that induce hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia (eg, diuretics, laxatives). Additive effects with CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, tranquilizers, opioids, general anesthetics). Possible hypertension with concomitant fentanyl citrate inj.
Hypotension, tachycardia, dysphoria, drowsiness, restlessness, hyperactivity, anxiety, QT prolonation, torsade de pointes, cardiac arrest, ventricular tachycardia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, post-op hallucinatory episodes.
Formerly known under the brand name Inapsine.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder