Doxycycline Monohydrate Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxycycline monohydrate 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for Doxycycline Monohydrate Tablets:
Tetracycline-susceptible infections including respiratory, genitourinary, rickettsial, trachoma. Postexposure prophylaxis and treatment of anthrax.
Usual dose: 200mg on first day (give as 100mg every 12hrs or 50mg every 6hrs) followed by maintenance dose of 100mg/day (may be given as a single dose or as 50mg every 12hrs). Management of severe infections (including chronic UTI): 100mg every 12hrs. Uncomplicated gonoccal infections (except anorectal infections in men): 100mg twice daily for 7 days or 300mg stat followed in one hour by a second 300mg dose. Acute epididymo-orchitis caused by N. gonorrhoeae, C. trachomatis: 100mg twice daily for at least 10 days. Primary and secondary syphilis: 300mg in divided doses for at least 10 days. Uncomplicated urethral, endocervical, or rectal infection caused by C. trachomatis, nongonococcal urethritis caused by C. trachomatis and U. urealyticum: 100mg twice daily for at least 7 days. Inhalational anthrax (post-exposure): 100mg twice daily for 60 days.
<8yrs: not recommended. >8yrs: ≤100lbs: 2mg/lb divided into two doses on the first day, followed by 1mg/lb as a single daily dose or divided into two doses, on subsequent days. Severe infections: up to 2mg/lb may be used. >100lbs: use adult dose. Inhalational anthrax (post-exposure): ≤100lbs: 1mg/lb twice daily for 60 days. >100lbs: use adult dose.
Monitor blood, renal, and liver function in long-term use. Avoid excessive sunlight or UV light. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium reduce absorption. Avoid concomitant penicillin, methoxyflurane. Carbamazepine, phenytoin, barbiturates may decrease effectiveness. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants. May decrease effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, esophageal irritation/ulceration (drink fluids liberally with dose), rash, increased BUN, hypersensitivity reactions, blood dyscrasias; pseudomembranous colitis.
Tabs 50mg—100; 100mg—50, 250
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?