Generic Name and Formulations:
Gadoterate meglumine 376.9mg/mL (0.5mmol/mL); soln for IV inj; preservative-free.
Indications for DOTAREM:
For use in MRI of the brain (intracranial), spine and associated tissues in adults and children (including term neonates) to detect and visualize areas with disruption of the blood brain barrier and/or abnormal vascularity.
Adults and Children:
Preterm neonates: not established. Give by IV bolus inj at a rate of ~2mL/sec (adults) or 1–2mL/sec (neonates/children), manually or by power injector. 0.2mL/kg (0.1mmol/kg), followed by a normal saline flush to ensure complete injection.
Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.
Increased risk of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis in chronic kidney disease or acute kidney injury; avoid use. Screen for renal dysfunction. Do not exceed recommended dose and allow sufficient time for drug elimination before re-administration. Have emergency resuscitative equipment available. History of asthma or other allergic disorders. Monitor for signs/symptoms of hypersensitivity reactions during and after administration. Increased risk of gadolinium retention with multiple lifetime doses, in pregnant patients, children, and those with inflammatory conditions; minimize repetitive imaging studies. Avoid extravasation. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Gadolinium-based contrast agent.
Nausea, headache, inj site pain, inj site coldness, rash; hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-dose vials (5mL, 10mL, 15mL, 20mL)—10; Pre-filled syringes (10mL, 15mL, 20mL)—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age