Generic Name and Formulations:
Doripenem (as monohydrate) 250mg/vial, 500mg/vial; pwd for IV infusion after constitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for DORIBAX:
Susceptible complicated intra-abdominal and complicated urinary tract infections (including pyelonephritis).
Give by IV infusion over 1hr; may switch to oral antibiotics after 3 days. ≥18yrs (CrCl >50mL/min): Intra-abdominal: 500mg every 8hrs for 5–14 days. UTI, pyelonephritis: 500mg every 8hrs for 10–14 days. CrCl 30–50mL/min: 250mg every 8hrs; CrCl>10–<30mL/min: 250mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
Not for treatment of ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia. Carbapenems, cephalosporins, penicillins or other allergy. Discontinue if serious hypersensitivity reactions occur and treat. Increased risk of seizures with history of CNS disorders (eg, stroke), renal dysfunction, or doses >500mg every 8hrs. Risk of pneumonitis with inhalational use; avoid this route. Renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Antagonizes valproic acid; if needed, monitor and consider supplemental anticonvulsant. Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended.
Headache, nausea, diarrhea (may be serious; evaluate if occurs), rash, phlebitis, anemia, elevated hepatic enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea, hypersensitivity reactions, seizures.
Single-use vials—1, 10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders