Generic Name and Formulations:
Doripenem (as monohydrate) 250mg/vial, 500mg/vial; pwd for IV infusion after constitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for DORIBAX:
Susceptible complicated intra-abdominal and complicated urinary tract infections (including pyelonephritis).
Give by IV infusion over 1hr; may switch to oral antibiotics after 3 days. ≥18yrs (CrCl >50mL/min): Intra-abdominal: 500mg every 8hrs for 5–14 days. UTI, pyelonephritis: 500mg every 8hrs for 10–14 days. CrCl 30–50mL/min: 250mg every 8hrs; CrCl>10–<30mL/min: 250mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
Not for treatment of ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia. Carbapenems, cephalosporins, penicillins or other allergy. Discontinue if serious hypersensitivity reactions occur and treat. Increased risk of seizures with history of CNS disorders (eg, stroke), renal dysfunction, or doses >500mg every 8hrs. Risk of pneumonitis with inhalational use; avoid this route. Renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Antagonizes valproic acid; if needed, monitor and consider supplemental anticonvulsant. Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended.
Headache, nausea, diarrhea (may be serious; evaluate if occurs), rash, phlebitis, anemia, elevated hepatic enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea, hypersensitivity reactions, seizures.
Single-use vials—1, 10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management