DONNATAL ELIXIR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Phenobarbital 16.2mg, hyoscyamine sulfate 0.1037mg, atropine sulfate 0.0194mg, scopolamine HBr 0.0065mg; per 5mL; contains alcohol; grape flavor.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for DONNATAL ELIXIR:
Adjunct in irritable bowel syndrome, enterocolitis, duodenal ulcer.
5–10mL 3–4 times daily.
<10lb (4.5kg): not recommended. 10lb (4.5kg): Initially 0.5mL every 4hrs or 0.75mL every 6hrs. 20lb (9.1kg): 1mL every 4hrs or 1.5mL every 6hrs. 30lb (13.6kg): 1.5mL every 4hrs or 2mL every 6hrs. 50lb (22.7kg): 2.5mL every 4hrs or 3.75mL every 6hrs. 75lb (34kg): 3.75mL every 4hrs or 5mL every 6hrs. 100 lb (45.4kg): 5mL every 4hrs or 7.5mL every 6hrs.
Glaucoma. Porphyria. Unstable cardiovascular status. GI or GU obstruction. Paralytic ileus or intestinal atony. Toxic megacolon. Severe ulcerative colitis. Myasthenia gravis. Hiatal hernia. History of paradoxical reactions to phenobarbital.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Autonomic neuropathy. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Drug abusers. High environmental temperature. Gastric ulcer. Diarrhea. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics, narcotics, type I antiarrhythmics, antihistamines, phenothiazines, tricyclics. May antagonize anticoagulants, CYP450 substrates.
Barbiturate + anticholinergics.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects, paradoxical excitement.
Tabs—100, 1000; Elixir—4oz, pt
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders