DONNATAL ELIXIR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Phenobarbital 16.2mg, hyoscyamine sulfate 0.1037mg, atropine sulfate 0.0194mg, scopolamine HBr 0.0065mg; per 5mL; contains alcohol; grape flavor.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for DONNATAL ELIXIR:
Adjunct in irritable bowel syndrome, enterocolitis, duodenal ulcer.
5–10mL 3–4 times daily.
<10lb (4.5kg): not recommended. 10lb (4.5kg): Initially 0.5mL every 4hrs or 0.75mL every 6hrs. 20lb (9.1kg): 1mL every 4hrs or 1.5mL every 6hrs. 30lb (13.6kg): 1.5mL every 4hrs or 2mL every 6hrs. 50lb (22.7kg): 2.5mL every 4hrs or 3.75mL every 6hrs. 75lb (34kg): 3.75mL every 4hrs or 5mL every 6hrs. 100 lb (45.4kg): 5mL every 4hrs or 7.5mL every 6hrs.
Glaucoma. Porphyria. Unstable cardiovascular status. GI or GU obstruction. Paralytic ileus or intestinal atony. Toxic megacolon. Severe ulcerative colitis. Myasthenia gravis. Hiatal hernia. History of paradoxical reactions to phenobarbital.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Autonomic neuropathy. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Drug abusers. High environmental temperature. Gastric ulcer. Diarrhea. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Barbiturate + anticholinergics.
Potentiated CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics, narcotics, type I antiarrhythmics, antihistamines, phenothiazines, tricyclics. May antagonize anticoagulants, CYP450 substrates.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects, paradoxical excitement.
Tabs—100, 1000; Elixir—4oz, pt
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cycle Patterns Associated With Treatment Response in Bipolar Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder