Generic Name and Formulations:
Propofol 10mg/mL; emulsion for IV inj or infusion; contains egg lecithin, soy.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for DIPRIVAN:
Induction and maintenance of monitored anesthesia care (MAC) sedation; combined sedation and regional anesthesia; and ICU sedation of intubated, mechanically ventilated adult patients. Induction of general anesthesia in patients ≥3yrs of age. Maintenance of general anesthesia in patients ≥2 months of age.
See full lableing. Individualize. Allow 3–5 mins between dose adjustments. General anesthesia induction (<55yrs): 40mg every 10 seconds until induction onset. Elderly, debilitated, ASA-PS III or IV, cardiac anesthesia, neurosurgery: 20mg every 10 seconds until induction onset. General anesthesia maintenance as infusion (<55yrs and neurosurgery): initially 100–200mcg/kg/min for 10–15 mins, reduce to 50–100mcg/kg/min. Elderly, debilitated, ASA-PS III or IV: 50–100mcg/kg/min. Cardiac anesthesia: As the primary agent: 100–150mcg/kg/min; with primary opioid: 50–100mcg/kg/min. General anesthesia maintenance as intermittent bolus (<55yrs): increments of 20–50mg as needed. Initiation of MAC sedation: give by slow infusion of 100–150mcg/kg/min for 3–5 mins or slow injection of 0.5mg/kg over 3–5 mins followed immediately by maintenance infusion. Maintenance of MAC sedation (<55yrs): infuse 25–75mcg/kg/min (preferred) or give incremental boluses of 10mg or 20mg; elderly, debilitated, ASA-PS III or IV, neurosurgical patients: reduce dose by 20%. ICU sedation: initially infuse 5 mcg/kg/min for at least 5 mins; increase in increments of 5–10mcg/kg/min over 5–10 mins until clinical effect is achieved. Maintenance: 5–50mcg/kg/min or higher; continue until 10–15 mins prior to extubation. May give 10mg or 20mg bolus to rapidly increase depth of sedation in patients not at risk of hypotension.
Individualize. General anesthesia induction (3–16yrs): 2.5–3.5mg/kg given over 20–30 seconds. General anesthesia maintenance (2 months–16yrs): 125–300mcg/kg/min, decrease infusion rate if signs of light anesthesia are not present following the first 30 mins.
Egg or soy product allergy.
Should be administered only by persons trained in the administration of general anesthesia. Keep resuscitative equipment, artificial ventilation and oxygen readily available; maintain patency of the airway at all times. Initiate drug holiday and supplement lost zinc if infused for >5 days (esp. patients with burns, diarrhea, major sepsis). Hyperlipoproteinemia. Diabetic hyperlipemia. Pancreatitis. Seizure disorder. Increased intracranial pressure. Impaired cerebral circulation. Cardiac depression. Hemodynamically unstable. Correct fluid deficits before administration. Monitor cardiorespiratory status, renal function, triglycerides, serum zinc. Avoid abrupt cessation. American Society of Anesthesiologists Physical Status (ASA-PS) III or IV, elderly debilitated: avoid rapid bolus administration. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Labor & delivery, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiation with volatile inhalational anesthetics (eg, enflurane, isoflurane, halothane), parental narcotics (eg, morphine, meperidine, fentanyl) or combinations of opioids and sedatives (eg, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, choral hydrate, droperidol), other CNS depressants; reduce dose. Children: concomitant fentanyl may cause serious bradycardia.
Hypotension, bradycardia, inj site pain, apnea, propofol infusion syndrome with high-dose infusions (>5mg/kg/h for >48hrs); rare: anaphylaxis, phlebitis, thrombosis, perioperative myoclonia. Children: also movement, hypertension, rash, pruritis, tachycardia nodal, arrhythmia.
Ready-to use vial (20mL, 50mL, 100mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder