DIPHTHERIA AND TETANUS TOXOIDS ADSORBED (for PEDIATRIC USE) Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids; aluminum adsorbed; susp for IM inj; multi-dose vial preserved with thimerosal, single-dose vials contain trace amounts of thimerosal.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for DIPHTHERIA AND TETANUS TOXOIDS ADSORBED (for PEDIATRIC USE):
Tetanus and diphtheria immunization in patients 6 weeks to 7yrs of age when pertussis vaccine cannot be used.
<6wks and ≥7yrs: not recommended. Give IM in anterolateral thigh or deltoid. 6wks–1yr: three 0.5mL doses 4–8 weeks apart, then 4th dose 6–12 months after third dose. 1–6yrs (up to 7yrs): two 0.5mL doses 4–8 weeks apart, then 3rd dose 6–12 months after the second dose (if >7yrs, use Td vaccine). Booster dose: see literature.
History of systemic allergic or neurologic reactions to a previous dose of DT.
Defer in moderate or severe active respiratory or other febrile infection (may vaccinate if mild or minor illness) or during polio outbreak. Bleeding disorders. Immunosuppressed. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available.
May get suboptimal response with immunosuppressants (eg, chemotherapy, high dose corticosteroids ≥2 weeks, radiation); consider deferring.
Local reactions (eg, erythema, edema), malaise, fever, hypotension, arthralgia, nausea; rare: neurologic disorders.
Multi-dose vial (5mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management