Diphenoxylate HCl/Atropine Sulfate Oral Solution CV
Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphenoxylate HCl 2.5mg, atropine sulfate 0.025mg; per 5mL liq; alcohol 15%.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for Diphenoxylate HCl/Atropine Sulfate Oral Solution:
Adjunct to fluid and electrolyte replacement in diarrhea.
2 tabs or 10mL 4 times daily until diarrhea is controlled. Maintenance: 2 tabs or 10mL daily.
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–12yrs: initially 0.3–0.4mg/kg in 4 divided doses until diarrhea is controlled. Maintenance: 25% initial dose; max 48hrs.
Pseudomembranous enterocolitis. Obstructive jaundice. Diarrhea caused by organisms that penetrate intestinal mucosa. Age <2yrs.
Dehydration. Acute ulcerative colitis; discontinue if toxic megacolon occurs. Hepatic or renal disease. Abnormal liver function tests. Drug abusers. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
MAOIs may cause hypertensive crisis. Antimuscarinics may cause paralytic ileus. Potentiates sedation with alcohol, CNS depressants. May delay elimination of other drugs metabolized by CYP450.
Opioid + anticholinergic.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, paralytic ileus, toxic megacolon, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, euphoria, tachycardia, numbness of extremities, pruritus, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, anticholinergic effects; respiratory depression (overdosage), atropinism.
Tabs—100, 500, 1000, 2500; Soln—60mL
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder