Digoxin oral solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Digoxin 0.05mg; per mL; lime-flavored; contains alcohol 10%.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for Digoxin oral solution:
Mild-to-moderate heart failure (with a diuretic and an ACE inhibitor when possible). Increase myocardial contractility in pediatrics with heart failure. Control of ventricular response rate in chronic atrial fibrillation.
Individualize: see full labeling. Initially 0.003mg/kg per day. Monitor digoxin levels.
Individualize: see full labeling. >2yrs: initially 0.01mg/kg per day. Monitor digoxin levels.
Renal dysfunction: reduce dose. Sinus node disease. Incomplete AV block. Accessory AV pathway (Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome). Heart failure with preserved LV ejection fraction (eg, restrictive cardiomyopathy, constrictive pericarditis, amyloid heart disease, acute cor pulmonale, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). Electrical cardioversion. Acute MI. Avoid in myocarditis. Toxicity risk increased by hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, hypercalcemia, diabetes. Hypocalcemia may nullify effects. Thyroid disease. Hypermetabolic states. Monitor digoxin levels, electrolytes, renal function. Elderly. Children. Infants. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by antiarrhythmics (amiodarone, propafenone, quinidine), calcium channel blockers (verapamil, diltiazem, nifedipine, nitrendipine), captopril, telmisartan, spironolactone, carvedilol, epoprostenol, diclofenac, indomethacin, cyclosporine, ketoconazole, itraconazole, rabeprazole, clarithromycin. May be antagonized by rifampin, acarbose, miglitol, colestipol, St. John's Wort, albuterol. Increased risk of arrhythmias with sympathomimetics. Others (see full labeling).
GI upset, anorexia, CNS effects (eg, blurred or yellow vision, or mental disturbances, confusion, headache, weakness, dizziness, apathy), gynecomastia, rash, heart block, arrhythmias (esp. children).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder