Generic Name and Formulations:
Dicloxacillin sodium 250mg, 500mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Dicloxacillin :
Susceptible infections caused by penicillinase-producing staphylococci. Not for initial therapy in serious, life-threatening infections.
Take on an empty stomach. ≥40kg: Mild to moderate infections: 125mg every 6hrs. Severe infections: 250mg every 6hrs.
Take on an empty stomach. <40kg: Mild to moderate infections: 12.5mg/kg/day in divided doses every 6hrs. Severe: 25mg/kg/day in divided doses every 6hrs.
Signficant allergy/asthma. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant tetracyclines, aminoglycosides. Serum levels increased by probenecid. May reduce anticoagulant response: monitor PT.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions, neurotoxic reactions, blood dyscrasias; C. difficile associated diarrhea.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age