Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlorpropamide 100mg, 250mg; scored tabs.
Indications for DIABINESE:
Adjunct to diet in type 2 diabetes.
Initially 250mg daily. Elderly: initially 100–125mg daily. Titrate dose. Take with breakfast. Max 750mg daily.
Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetic ketoacidosis.
Oral hypoglycemic agents may increase risk of cardiovascular mortality. Impaired renal or hepatic function. Adrenal or pituitary insufficiency. Stress. Secondary failure may occur with extended therapy. G6PD deficiency. Monitor urine and blood glucose. Discontinue if jaundice or persistent rash occurs. Malnourished. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C): consider insulin instead. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by NSAIDs, alcohol, highly protein bound drugs, salicylates, sulfonamides, chloramphenicol, probenecid, coumarins, MAOIs, β-blockers. Antagonized by diuretics, steroids, phenothiazines, thyroid products, phenytoin, niacin, sympathomimetics, calcium channel blockers and isoniazid. Disulfiram-like reaction with alcohol.
Sulfonylurea (1st generation).
Hypoglycemia, cholestatic jaundice, GI disturbances, allergic skin reactions, photosensitivity, blood dyscrasias, hepatic porphyria.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder