Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlorpropamide 100mg, 250mg; scored tabs.
Indications for DIABINESE:
Adjunct to diet in type 2 diabetes.
Initially 250mg daily. Elderly: initially 100–125mg daily. Titrate dose. Take with breakfast. Max 750mg daily.
Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetic ketoacidosis.
Oral hypoglycemic agents may increase risk of cardiovascular mortality. Impaired renal or hepatic function. Adrenal or pituitary insufficiency. Stress. Secondary failure may occur with extended therapy. G6PD deficiency. Monitor urine and blood glucose. Discontinue if jaundice or persistent rash occurs. Malnourished. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C): consider insulin instead. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Sulfonylurea (1st generation).
Potentiated by NSAIDs, alcohol, highly protein bound drugs, salicylates, sulfonamides, chloramphenicol, probenecid, coumarins, MAOIs, β-blockers. Antagonized by diuretics, steroids, phenothiazines, thyroid products, phenytoin, niacin, sympathomimetics, calcium channel blockers and isoniazid. Disulfiram-like reaction with alcohol.
Hypoglycemia, cholestatic jaundice, GI disturbances, allergic skin reactions, photosensitivity, blood dyscrasias, hepatic porphyria.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children