D.H.E. 45 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Dihydroergotamine mesylate 1mg/mL; for IM, IV, or SC inj.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for D.H.E. 45:
Acute treatment of migraine headache or cluster headache episodes.
1mL IV at 1 hour intervals; max 2 doses/day. Or, 1mL IM or SC at 1-hour intervals; max 3 doses/day. For all: max 6 doses/week. Do not use chronically.
Ischemic heart disease. Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina) or myocardial ischemia. Peripheral artery disease. Sepsis. Post-vascular surgery. Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Severely impaired hepatic or renal function. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, erythromycin, clarithromycin, troleandmycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole) or other vasoconstrictors. Within 24 hours of sumatriptan, zolmitriptan, other 5-HT1 agonists, or ergot-type drugs. Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers.
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Compromised circulation. Elderly.
See Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, protease inhibitors, macrolides, azole antifungals, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, grapefruit juice, zileuton), propranolol, nicotine.
Numbness, pain, weakness of extremities, epigastric distress, tachycardia or bradycardia, nausea, vomiting, localized edema and itching, cardiac or cerebrovascular events; myocardial and peripheral vascular ischemia or vasoconstriction (ergotism: discontinue if occurs); rare: fibrotic complication.
Amps (1 mL)—10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder