Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as dextran complex) 50mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
American Regent, Inc.
Indications for DEXFERRUM:
Iron deficiency where oral therapy is unsatisfactory or impossible.
Adults and Children:
<4months: not recommended. Give by IV inj. Administer 0.5mL test dose first; if no signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, may give full therapeutic dose. ≥4months: Iron deficiency anemia: determine total dose based on hemoglobin and body weight (see literature). Iron replacement for blood loss: Replacement iron (in mg) = blood loss (in mL) X hematocrit. Max daily doses: <5kg: 0.5mL (25mg), <10kg: 1mL (50mg), ≥10kg: 2mL (100mg).
Anemia not associated with iron deficiency.
Risk of anaphylactic-type reactions.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, esp. in patients with history of allergies, asthma; have epinephrine available. Hepatic impairment. Avoid during acute phase of infectious kidney disease. Cardiovascular disease. Avoid large IV doses: higher incidence of adverse events. Iron overload more likely with hemoglobinopathies or refractory anemias. Rheumatoid arthritis. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ACE inhibitors may increase the risk for anaphylactic-type reactions. May falsely elevate serum bilirubin and decrease serum calcium.
See full labeling. Anaphylactic reactions (may be fatal, even in patients who tolerated test dose), cardiovascular events, pruritus, GI upset, arthralgia, arthritis, inj site reactions, others.
Single-dose vials (1mL, 2mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other Electronic Cigarette Makers