Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as dextran complex) 50mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
American Regent, Inc.
Indications for DEXFERRUM:
Iron deficiency where oral therapy is unsatisfactory or impossible.
Adults and Children:
<4months: not recommended. Give by IV inj. Administer 0.5mL test dose first; if no signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, may give full therapeutic dose. ≥4months: Iron deficiency anemia: determine total dose based on hemoglobin and body weight (see literature). Iron replacement for blood loss: Replacement iron (in mg) = blood loss (in mL) X hematocrit. Max daily doses: <5kg: 0.5mL (25mg), <10kg: 1mL (50mg), ≥10kg: 2mL (100mg).
Anemia not associated with iron deficiency.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, esp. in patients with history of allergies, asthma; have epinephrine available. Hepatic impairment. Avoid during acute phase of infectious kidney disease. Cardiovascular disease. Avoid large IV doses: higher incidence of adverse events. Iron overload more likely with hemoglobinopathies or refractory anemias. Rheumatoid arthritis. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ACE inhibitors may increase the risk for anaphylactic-type reactions. May falsely elevate serum bilirubin and decrease serum calcium.
See full labeling. Anaphylactic reactions (may be fatal, even in patients who tolerated test dose), cardiovascular events, pruritus, GI upset, arthralgia, arthritis, inj site reactions, others.
Single-dose vials (1mL, 2mL)—10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease