Dexamethasone sodium phosphate Ophthalmic Solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Dexamethasone sodium phosphate 0.1%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for Dexamethasone sodium phosphate Ophthalmic Solution:
Steroid responsive inflammatory conditions of the eye.
Initial therapy: 1 or 2 drops in conjunctival sac every hour during the day and every two hours during the night. When favorable response observed, reduce dose to 1 drop every 4 hours; may reduce later to 1 drop 3 or 4 times daily.
Epithelial herpes simplex keratitis. Acute infectious stages of vaccinia, varicella, and many other diseases of the cornea and conjunctiva. Mycobacterial infection of the eye. Fungal diseases of ocular or auricular structures. Perforation of a drum membrane.
Monitor intraocular pressure if used for >10 days. Wait at least 15 minutes before inserting contact lenses. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Glaucoma with optic nerve damage, visual acuity and field defects, posterior subcapsular cataract formation, secondary ocular infection from pathogens including herpes simplex, perforation of the globe; rare: stinging, burning, filtering blebs following cataract surgery.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders