Dexamethasone oral solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Dexamethasone 0.5mg; per 5mL.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for Dexamethasone oral solution:
See literature. Initally 0.75–9mg daily. Intensol: mix with liquid or semi-solid food.
See literature. Initally 0.02–0.3mg/kg/day in 3–4 divided doses. Intensol: mix with liquid or semi-solid food.
Systemic fungal infection. Live vaccination. Ocular herpes simplex. Cerebral malaria.
Strongyloides infestation. Varicella. Vaccinia. Recent MI. Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Hypothyroidism. Cirrhosis. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Renal insufficiency. Ulcerative colitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Diverticulitis. Peptic ulcer. CHF. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Myasthenia gravis. Hypoprothrombinemia. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, macrolides), cyclosporine, estrogens. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin), ephedrine. May potentiate cyclosporine. May anatgonize anticoagulants (monitor), isoniazid, other CYP3A4 substrates (eg, indinavir, erythromycin). Increased risk of arrhythmias with digitalis. May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents. Increased GI effects with aspirin. Monitor for hypokalemia with potassium-depleting drugs (eg, amphotericin B, diuretics). Toxic epidermal necrolysis possible with thalidomide. Concomitant indomethacin: may get false-negative on dexamethasone suppression test. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, masks infection, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance, weight gain.
Intensol—30mL (w. dropper)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Impairment May Predict Persistent Psychosis in Ketamine Users
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders