Dexamethasone oral solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Dexamethasone 0.5mg; per 5mL.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for Dexamethasone oral solution:
See literature. Initally 0.75–9mg daily. Intensol: mix with liquid or semi-solid food.
See literature. Initally 0.02–0.3mg/kg/day in 3–4 divided doses. Intensol: mix with liquid or semi-solid food.
Systemic fungal infection. Live vaccination. Ocular herpes simplex. Cerebral malaria.
Strongyloides infestation. Varicella. Vaccinia. Recent MI. Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Hypothyroidism. Cirrhosis. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Renal insufficiency. Ulcerative colitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Diverticulitis. Peptic ulcer. CHF. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Myasthenia gravis. Hypoprothrombinemia. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, macrolides), cyclosporine, estrogens. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin), ephedrine. May potentiate cyclosporine. May anatgonize anticoagulants (monitor), isoniazid, other CYP3A4 substrates (eg, indinavir, erythromycin). Increased risk of arrhythmias with digitalis. May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents. Increased GI effects with aspirin. Monitor for hypokalemia with potassium-depleting drugs (eg, amphotericin B, diuretics). Toxic epidermal necrolysis possible with thalidomide. Concomitant indomethacin: may get false-negative on dexamethasone suppression test. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, masks infection, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance, weight gain.
Intensol—30mL (w. dropper)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa