Generic Name and Formulations:
Tolterodine tartrate 1mg, 2mg; tabs.
Indications for DETROL:
Overactive bladder with symptoms of urinary frequency, urgency, or urge incontinence.
2mg twice daily; may decrease to 1mg twice daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (ketoconazole, itraconazole, miconazole, clarithromycin, erythromycin, cyclosporine, vinblastine), or significant renal or hepatic dysfunction: 1mg twice daily.
Urinary or gastric retention. Uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma. Fesoterodine fumarate allergy.
Bladder outflow obstruction. GI obstruction (eg, pyloric stenosis). Decreased GI motility. Discontinue if angioedema occurs. Monitor for anticholinergic CNS effects (esp. when starting treatment and after dose increases). Narrow-angle glaucoma. Myasthenia gravis. History of QT prolongation. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Plasma levels increased by CYP3A4 inhibitors (see Adult dose). Caution with Class IA (eg, quinidine, procainamide) or Class III (eg, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics.
Dry mouth/eyes, headache, constipation, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, fatigue, dizziness, somnolence, sinusitis, abnormal vision, anxiety, dysuria, other anticholinergic effects; anaphylaxis, angioedema.
Hepatic (CYP2D6, 3A4).
Renal (primarily), fecal.
LA—30, 90, 500; Tabs—60, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children