Generic Name and Formulations:
Deferoxamine mesylate 250mg/mL; for inj after reconstitution.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for DESFERAL:
Acute iron intoxication. Chronic iron overload due to multiple transfusions.
Adults and Children:
Routes other than IM: see literature. <3yrs: not recommended. ≥3yrs: acute iron toxicity: 1g IM initially followed by 500mg every 4 hours for 2 doses; repeat every 4–12 hours if needed; max 6g/day. Chronic iron overload: see literature.
Severe renal disease. Anuria.
Ocular or auditory disturbances. Perform visual acuity tests, slit-lamp exams, funduscopy and audiometry with prolonged therapy. High doses in patients with low ferritin levels may retard growth. Acute respiratory distress syndrome with high IV doses. Flushing, urticaria, hypotension, and shock if given rapid IV. Monitor changes in renal function. Discoloration of urine. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Possible impairment of cardiac function with concomitant high dose Vit. C; give max adult dose: 200mg in divided doses. May cause temporary impairment of consciousness with prochlorperazine.
Iron chelating agent.
Localized skin reactions, hypersensitivity, tachycardia, hypotension, shock, dysuria, leg cramps, fever, GI upset; increased serum creatinine, acute renal failure, renal tubular disorder; rare: Yersinia infections, mucormycosis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV