Generic Name and Formulations:
2-octyl cyanoacrylate; liq topical adhesive; high viscosity.
Indications for DERMABOND:
To hold closed easily approximated skin edges of wounds from surgical incisions, including punctures from minimally invasive surgery, and simple, thoroughly cleansed, trauma-induced lacerations; may be used in combination with deep dermal stitches.
Adults and Children:
See literature. Apply thin layers (at least 2) lightly to dry, cleansed, debrided skin edges of wounds or lacerations.
Active infection, gangrene, or decubitus wounds. Mucosal surfaces or across mucocutaneous junctions (eg, oral cavity, lips), or skin exposed to body fluids, or with dense natural hair (eg, scalp). Formaldehyde or cyanoacrylate sensitivity.
See literature. Do not apply to wet wounds. Avoid eyes, mucous membranes, sun or UV light. Not for use in high skin tension areas (eg, knuckles, elbows, knees). Peripheral vascular disease. Diabetes. Blood-clotting disorders. History of keloid formation or hypertrophy. Burst stellate lacerations. Animal or human bites. Puncture or stab wounds. Monitor for signs of infection.
May be affected by moisture, fluids, excessive heat or radiation. Liquid or ointment medications may weaken bond. Bond may be loosened with petroleum jelly or acetone.
Erythema, edema, pain, thermal discomfort, infection.
Prefilled single-use vial (w. applicator tips or pen applicators)—6, 12
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users