Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylprednisolone acetate 20mg/mL, 40mg/mL, 80mg/mL; susp for IM, intraarticular, soft tissue, or intralesional inj; contains preservative (benzyl alcohol); single-dose vial 40mg/mL, 80mg/mL; preservative-free.
Indications for DEPO-MEDROL:
Steroid-responsive disorders when oral therapy not feasible. Local inflammation.
See full labeling. Individualize. Locally: 4–80mg. Systemically: 40–120mg IM/week for 1–4 weeks.
See full labeling. Individualize. Initially 0.11–1.6mg/kg/day.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines. Depo-Medrol, Solu-Medrol: also premature infants (benzyl alcohol content), intrathecal administration, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (IM preparations).
Not for epidural use; serious neurologic events may occur. Cerebral malaria, optic neuritis: not recommended. Latent or active amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Ocular herpes simplex. Cirrhosis. Tuberculosis. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Recent MI. CHF. Hypertension. Renal insufficiency. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Hypothyroidism. Kaposi's sarcoma. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. May increase risk and mask signs of infection. May cause electrolyte imbalances, adrenocortical insufficiency, psychotic derangements. Alternate, intermittent, or single-daily doses at 8 AM minimize adrenal suppression. Use lowest effective dose. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. IV: drug-induced liver injury; discontinue if toxic hepatitis occurs. Intrasynovial: avoid previously infected or unstable joints. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, macrolides), cyclosporine, estrogens. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin), cholestyramine. May potentiate cyclosporine (seizure risk). May antagonize oral anticoagulants (monitor), isoniazid. Increased risk of arrhythmias with digitalis. May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents. Monitor for hypokalemia with potassium-depleting drugs (eg, amphotericin B, diuretics). Concomitant neuromuscular blocking agents; increased risk of myopathy. Withdraw anticholinesterase agents at least 24hrs before initiating corticosteroid therapy. Aminoglutethimide may lead to loss of corticosteroid-induced adrenal suppression. Increased GI effects with aspirin, other NSAIDs. Caution with aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance. Parenteral: atrophy, flare at site; intrasynovial: septic arthritis.
Tabs, dosepak (YES); Depo-medrol: 20mg/mL (NO); 40mg/mL, 80mg/mL (YES); Solu-medrol: 40mg, 125mg, 500mg, 1g (YES); 2g (NO)
Tabs 2mg—100; 4mg—100, 500; 8mg, 32mg—25; 16mg—50; Dosepak—21; Depo-Medrol multi-dose vial (20mg/mL)—1; (40mg/mL, 80mg/mL)—1, 25; Single-dose vial (40mg/mL, 80mg/mL)—1; Solu-Medrol single-dose vial (500mg, 1g)—1; (40mg, 125mg)—25; Multi-dose vial (500mg, 1g)—1; Vial with diluent (2g)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder