DEPAKOTE SPRINKLE Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Divalproex sodium 125mg; coated particles in caps.
Indications for DEPAKOTE SPRINKLE:
Monotherapy or adjunct in complex partial seizures; simple or complex absence seizures. Adjunct in multiple seizure types.
Adults and Children:
May swallow caps whole or sprinkle contents on soft food. Complex partial: <10yrs: not recommended. ≥10yrs: initially 10–15mg/kg per day. Absence seizures: initially 15mg/kg per day. Both: may increase weekly by 5–10mg/kg per day; max 60mg/kg per day; give in divided doses if total daily dose >250mg. Elderly: reduce initial dose and titrate slowly; monitor. Concomitant rufinamide: initiate at a low dose and titrate; see full labeling.
Hepatic disease or significant hepatic dysfunction. Known mitochondrial disorders caused by mutations in mitochondrial DNA polymerase γ (POLG). Suspected POLG-related disorder in children <2yrs of age. Urea cycle disorders.
Increased risk of hepatotoxicity in patients with congenital metabolic disorders, multiple AEDs, severe seizure disorders with mental retardation, organic brain disorders, esp. in children <2yrs of age. Increased risk of major congenital malformations (eg, spina bifida) and decreased IQ scores. Discontinue if hepatic dysfunction, pancreatitis, thrombocytopenia, hyperammonemia, hypothermia, or DRESS/multi-organ hypersensitivity reactions occur. History of liver disease; monitor liver function and clinical symptoms prior to therapy and at frequent intervals (esp. for 1st 6 mos). Follow-up if symptoms of hyperammonemia occur. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Depakote ER is not bioequivalent to delayed-release tabs on mg/mg basis. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor CBCs, coagulation tests (at baseline, before surgery, and in pregnancy); reevaluate periodically. May affect HIV or CMV viral load (in vitro). Monitor motor and cognitive functions routinely. Elderly (monitor fluid and nutritional intake, and for somnolence). Pregnancy (Cat.D): apprise females of childbearing potential of risks to fetus; avoid, if treatment necessary, use effective contraception. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Monitor levels of valproate, ethosuximide, other anticonvulsants, and whenever an enzyme inducer is added or withdrawn. Potentiates carbamazepine, diazepam, ethosuximide, lamotrigine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, tolbutamide, warfarin, zidovudine, amitriptyline, nortriptyline, propofol, rufinamide. Potentiated by aspirin, felbamate. Efficacy reduced by rifampin, phenytoin, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, carbapenems, estrogen-containing hormonal contraceptives; monitor serum valproate concentrations. CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Clonazepam may induce absence status in patients with history of absence seizures. Concomitant topiramate may cause hyperammonemic encephalopathy, hypothermia. May interfere with urine ketone and thyroid tests. Others: see full labeling.
Abdominal pain, accidental injury, alopecia, ambylopia/blurred vision, amnesia, anorexia, asthenia, ataxia, back pain, bronchitis, constipation, depression, diarrhea, diplopia, dizziness, dyspepsia, dyspnea, ecchymosis, emotional lability, fever, flu syndrome, headache, increased appetite, infection, insomnia, nausea, nervousness, nystagmus, peripheral edema, pharyngitis, rash, rhinitis, somnolence, abnormal thinking, thrombocytopenia, tinnitus, tremor, vomiting, weight gain, weight loss; hepatotoxicity, birth defects, acute pancreatitis, hyperammonemia, hypothermia.
Tabs 125mg—100; Tabs 250mg, 500mg—100, 500; Sprinkle caps—100; ER 250mg—100; ER 500mg—100, 500
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder