Generic Name and Formulations:
Metyrosine 250mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for DEMSER:
Treatment of pheochromocytoma for: preoperative preparation for surgery; or management when surgery is contraindicated. Chronic treatment in malignant pheochromocytoma.
Initially 250mg 4 times daily; may increase by 250–500mg daily up to max 4g/day in divided doses. Usual dose: 2–3g/day; monitor. If hypertensive, titrate dose to normalize BP and control symptoms; if normotensive, titrate dose to reduce urinary metanephrines and/or vanillylmandelic acid by ≥50%. Add an α-blocker (eg, phenoxybenzamine) if patients not adequately controlled. Pre-op prep: treat for at least 5–7 days.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Maintain adequate hydration; if crystalluria occurs, increase more fluids; if crystalluria persists, reduce dose or discontinue. Pre-op use: maintain adequate intravascular volume intra- and postoperatively. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Increased CNS effects with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, hypnotics, sedatives, tranquilizers). Potentiates extrapyramidal effects of phenothiazines, haloperidol.
Tyrosine hydroxylase inhibitor.
Sedation, diarrhea, extrapyramidal effects, anxiety, CNS disturbances, crystalluria; rare: hematological disorders.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder