Demeclocycline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Demeclocycline HCl 150mg, 300mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Demeclocycline HCl:
Tetracycline-sensitive infections, including respiratory, genitourinary, skin and skin structure, soft tissues, and those caused by rickettsiae and Mycoplasma pneumoniae; also cholera, psittacosis, plague, shigellosis.
Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. 150mg 4 times daily or 300mg twice daily. Gonorrhea patients sensitive to penicillin: initially 600mg followed by 300mg every 12hrs for 4 days to a total of 3g.
<8yrs: not recommended. Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. ≥8yrs: 7–13mg/kg/day divided into 2–4 doses; max 600mg/day.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, renal and hepatic function in long-term use. Avoid sun and UV light. Discontinue if skin erythema occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid methoxyflurane, photosensitizing agents. May antagonize bactericidal antibiotics; avoid. Reduced absorption with antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, dairy products, urinary alkalinizers, other multivalent cations. May reduce effectiveness of oral contraceptives. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias, increased BUN, hepatotoxicity, C. difficile associated diarrhea, pseudotumor cerebri; rare: esophagitis and esophageal ulceration.
Formerly known under the brand name Declomycin.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder