Demeclocycline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Demeclocycline HCl 150mg, 300mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Demeclocycline HCl:
Tetracycline-sensitive infections, including respiratory, genitourinary, skin and skin structure, soft tissues, and those caused by rickettsiae and Mycoplasma pneumoniae; also cholera, psittacosis, plague, shigellosis.
Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. 150mg 4 times daily or 300mg twice daily. Gonorrhea patients sensitive to penicillin: initially 600mg followed by 300mg every 12hrs for 4 days to a total of 3g.
<8yrs: not recommended. Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. ≥8yrs: 7–13mg/kg/day divided into 2–4 doses; max 600mg/day.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, renal and hepatic function in long-term use. Avoid sun and UV light. Discontinue if skin erythema occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid methoxyflurane, photosensitizing agents. May antagonize bactericidal antibiotics; avoid. Reduced absorption with antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, dairy products, urinary alkalinizers, other multivalent cations. May reduce effectiveness of oral contraceptives. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias, increased BUN, hepatotoxicity, C. difficile associated diarrhea, pseudotumor cerebri; rare: esophagitis and esophageal ulceration.
Formerly known under the brand name Declomycin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age