Demeclocycline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Demeclocycline HCl 150mg, 300mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Demeclocycline HCl:
Tetracycline-sensitive infections, including respiratory, genitourinary, skin and skin structure, soft tissues, and those caused by rickettsiae and Mycoplasma pneumoniae; also cholera, psittacosis, plague, shigellosis.
Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. 150mg 4 times daily or 300mg twice daily. Gonorrhea patients sensitive to penicillin: initially 600mg followed by 300mg every 12hrs for 4 days to a total of 3g.
<8yrs: not recommended. Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. ≥8yrs: 7–13mg/kg/day divided into 2–4 doses; max 600mg/day.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, renal and hepatic function in long-term use. Avoid sun and UV light. Discontinue if skin erythema occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid methoxyflurane, photosensitizing agents. May antagonize bactericidal antibiotics; avoid. Reduced absorption with antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, dairy products, urinary alkalinizers, other multivalent cations. May reduce effectiveness of oral contraceptives. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias, increased BUN, hepatotoxicity, C. difficile associated diarrhea, pseudotumor cerebri; rare: esophagitis and esophageal ulceration.
Formerly known under the brand name Declomycin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed