Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 400mg; del-rel caps.
Indications for DELZICOL:
Mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis (UC) in patients ≥5 years of age. Maintenance of remission of UC in adults.
Swallow caps whole; if unable to swallow, may open and swallow contents (four 100mg tabs). Treatment: 800mg 3 times daily for 6 weeks. Maintenance: 1.6g/day in 2–4 divided doses. Two Delzicol 400mg caps are not bioequivalent to one mesalamine 800mg del-rel tab.
<5yrs: not established. Give twice daily dosing for 6 weeks. ≥5yrs (17–32kg): 36–71mg/kg/day, up to max 1.2g/day (800mg in the AM + 400mg in the afternoon); (33–53kg): 37–61mg/kg/day, up to max 2g/day (1200mg in the AM + 800mg in the afternoon); (54–90kg): 27–44mg/kg/day, up to max 2.4g/day (1200mg in the AM + 1200mg in the afternoon).
Monitor renal function before and during therapy. History of renal disease. Monitor for mesalamine-induced acute intolerance syndrome; discontinue if suspected. Sulfasalazine allergy. Pre-existing liver disease. Upper GI tract obstruction. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly (monitor CBCs). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of renal reactions with nephrotoxic agents (eg, NSAIDs). Increased risk of blood disorders with azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine.
Eructation, abdominal pain, constipation, dizziness, rhinitis, back pain, rash, dyspepsia, flu syndrome; acute intolerance syndrome, hypersensitivity reactions (including myocarditis, pericarditis, pneumonitis, hematologic abnormalities, others). Pediatrics: also, nasopharyngitis, headache, sinusitis, cough, diarrhea, fatigue, pyrexia, increased lipase.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders