Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 400mg; del-rel caps.
Indications for DELZICOL:
Mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis (UC) in patients ≥5 years of age. Maintenance of remission of UC in adults.
Swallow caps whole; if unable to swallow, may open and swallow contents (four 100mg tabs). Treatment: 800mg 3 times daily for 6 weeks. Maintenance: 1.6g/day in 2–4 divided doses. Two Delzicol 400mg caps are not bioequivalent to one mesalamine 800mg del-rel tab.
<5yrs: not established. Give twice daily dosing for 6 weeks. ≥5yrs (17–32kg): 36–71mg/kg/day, up to max 1.2g/day (800mg in the AM + 400mg in the afternoon); (33–53kg): 37–61mg/kg/day, up to max 2g/day (1200mg in the AM + 800mg in the afternoon); (54–90kg): 27–44mg/kg/day, up to max 2.4g/day (1200mg in the AM + 1200mg in the afternoon).
Monitor renal function before and during therapy. History of renal disease. Monitor for mesalamine-induced acute intolerance syndrome; discontinue if suspected. Sulfasalazine allergy. Pre-existing liver disease. Upper GI tract obstruction. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly (monitor CBCs). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of renal reactions with nephrotoxic agents (eg, NSAIDs). Increased risk of blood disorders with azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine.
Eructation, abdominal pain, constipation, dizziness, rhinitis, back pain, rash, dyspepsia, flu syndrome; acute intolerance syndrome, hypersensitivity reactions (including myocarditis, pericarditis, pneumonitis, hematologic abnormalities, others). Pediatrics: also, nasopharyngitis, headache, sinusitis, cough, diarrhea, fatigue, pyrexia, increased lipase.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments